Sign in to follow this  
WhtMtnHunter

Big Boguillas Gone?

Personally I think the owners should just pick half, make it totally private. With the other half going state land and eliminating the checkerboard 

• Like 2

Fifty one percent of unit 10 is private land. We the tax payers pay for the other 49%. Much of the road damage is caused by the private land lessees and owners. They far outnumber the hunters that traverse the land. Twenty four hour a day cattle operations and traffic related to such is ten fold to the number of hunters who access the land. Last year much of the traffic was water hauling trucks and this year with the drought conditions only getting worse roads will need even more maintenance. If you can imagine the damage a 20 ton water hauling truck hauling water every day does to a road vs. a 1/4 ton truck you wouldn't even argue. I've been hunting that ranch since 1985 and I'm tired of hunters getting the blame for it. Another thing is the lessees are the ones demanding the hunting fees not the land owners. 

• Like 2

My only experience on the Big Bo was one day of scouting for an antelope tag in 2013. Every tank, water line, holding tank I saw had firearm damage. It was the fist year they asked for the trespass fee. We didn’t pay it and went 3 for 3 on public land. 

On 12/10/2021 at 3:38 PM, yotebuster said:

It’s a slow but sure progression.  I’m not for it, was just surprised it lasted as long as it did.  The next thing coming down the pipe is private land tags.  Those Indians are sitting on a few million a year in revenue for the elk and antelope they have and they will get that extracted, it’s just a matter of time.  Again I’m not saying I’m for it or that it’s good by any means, was just exclaiming that I can’t believe it lasted as long as it did.  I watched guys complain about the “greedy” owners because they had to pay $85 and couldn’t drive their side by side where ever they wanted.  They were being so generous by allowing that access for free and for pay.  You don’t even come close to scratching the surface of the cost of ownership of that land at $85 a person access fee even if you sell thousands.  

I don’t see land owner tags happening.  No one will be able to hunt so population levels will get super high and be eating all the grass.  Or so the ranchers will say.  So eventually they’ll let hunters back on 

On 12/10/2021 at 6:24 PM, idgaf said:

Personally I think the owners should just pick half, make it totally private. With the other half going state land and eliminating the checkerboard 

That’s a two edged sword…that would make it pretty dang easy to put condos on that big private piece.

i knew the guy that owned the ranch, not the land and he was pro hunters, he always helped hunters, at least me and a few guys here that i gave his #, unfortunally he passed away last year from covid, i was wondering what was going to happen there after they sold the lease of the ranch.

So what did they say about the Big Bo? Is it being sold? Changing its policy? Did Jimmy John buy all the access?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flatlander said:

So what did they say about the Big Bo? Is it being sold? Changing its policy? Did Jimmy John buy all the access?

They've been unable to renew the access agreement.  

• Like 1

Private land ranches with no access to public ground behind the locked fences in BS. You don’t own access to public ground. Running into this problem right now on a deer hunt in southeast Arizona. 

• Like 2

I am glad they reduced some tags that would matter if the ranch switched to guided only status. State land is only open to person's with proper permit. A hunting license is a form of such permit. Camping and target shooting as well as prospecting are not allowed.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2021 at 7:03 PM, L Cazador said:

Fifty one percent of unit 10 is private land. We the tax payers pay for the other 49%. 

I would guess  the private land was undoubtedly purchased by the Navajo Nation with tax money from the US government. They have been doing this for years now. Look at units 2,3,4,5 as well.

5 hours ago, 105Coues said:

I would guess  the private land was undoubtedly purchased by the Navajo Nation with tax money from the US government. They have been doing this for years now. Look at units 2,3,4,5 as well.

Yes sir that's quite correct and may also the reason that it can only be leased and not sold! We can thank the other major land owner in unit 10 for that. Bruce Babbitt.

Wonder how much the hunting/wildlife manger is involved with trying to get ranch shut down again so their Outfitting business can profit.