Hoss50

School me on getting suppressors

Just purchased a suppressor on Tuesday. Did it all with the SS Kiosk. I picked out a in store can paid it and submitted all forms. I already have my ATF pin and password ready. Just waiting for my paperwork to go to certify status with the local dealer I purchased from. 

12 minutes ago, Tradman said:

Just purchased a suppressor on Tuesday. Did it all with the SS Kiosk. I picked out a in store can paid it and submitted all forms. I already have my ATF pin and password ready. Just waiting for my paperwork to go to certify status with the local dealer I purchased from. 

Did they say it would go faster cuz of the e file stuff  

That's what they anticipate, but will wait and see. I had them mount up my "held against its own will" suppressor to my 8in SBR just for giggles. I tell you what, it's a beauty!

I sure hope it goes faster .I got two from silencer central just before Christmas and got the email to sign e docs last week and sent in the fingerprint cards also .THEY said the new e file would be faster .

as a suppressor addict for over 10 years, I'd like to say welcome all to the sickness. It starts off with "Im only going to need 3 cans, one for my 22, a 30cal for everything smaller than 30, and a 45acp can for pistols."  then evolves into "I hate moving them around... I need just 1 more."  I am now like the infomercial "Set it and Forget it!" put a can on and leave it on, no issues with POI shift.

In the time that I have bought NFA items, the time has gone from 2 months to 6 months to 12 months and back to 6 and now to throw a dart.  There is hope for the eform system, but I don't see the 30 day thing happening.  The one constant with the ATF, is it is a government agency and efficiency isn't a priority.  

As big as a pain as it can be, the juice is worth the squeeze.  Saving your and your kids/hunting partners hearing is priceless.  Even with ear protection hearing loss occurs and once your hearing is gone, its gone.  The "I always put my ear-pro in before I shoot" line goes out the window when a huge buck or elk surprises us, be honest.     

Recoil management isn't as good as a brake, however it is really good and people around you don't hate you quite as much.  

Accuracy is improved due to recoil, harmonics and flinch management.  Confidence is improved.  

Pro tip- On your smart phone, get a scanner app.  Make a file and label NFA Stamps.  Keep a PDF of your stamps with you.  I have never been asked by any sort of LEO for proof of legal ownership, and I'm not 100% sure the digital copy is legal (there is some debate on it) however my digital copy of my insurance card and other digital copies have worked in the past.  

again welcome the club.  and to those waiting because the wait time is too long, the longer you wait, the longer it will take regardless.  

There have been many attempts to take suppressors off of the NFA side of firearm ownership. Some are waiting for that pipe dream, I too hope it happens, however my question to you is, when have you ever seen a government relinquish control of something that they can tax and especially get a triple tax? (11% excise tax, sales tax and the $200 stamp)

Shoot quietly my friends!!

45acp at 100yd target.

Edited by cactusjack
Adding bad butt video
  • Like 3

The ATF tutorial is great.  A big delay is the FBI background check.  That part is ridiculously slow.  You can have a Top Secret security clearance, your CCW, a Fingerprint Card, and 60 other NFA stamps with some within days and you wait.  

Years ago each state was assigned to specific people at the NFA Branch.  Not always but often we could call and have them combined stamps. If I had 8 stamps pending from different dates they would send them through for the background check at the same time. It made the decision to pick up a couple quick cans easier.   

2 minutes ago, Bucks N Bulls said:

Can you shoot a 300 win mag without ear plugs when shooting a suppressor? 

I’ve shot my .28 nosler without earplugs suppressed and never noticed it being abnormally loud.  

7 hours ago, yotebuster said:

I’ve shot my .28 nosler without earplugs suppressed and never noticed it being abnormally loud.  

Ok thanks! Thinking of one for my 300 and one for wifes 270