Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

December Tags 2021

8 hours ago, CouesPursuit said:

To the December rifle tag knowledgeable, what behavior have you experienced throughout the 3 weeks and what do you think explains it? 

Even if the rut isn't kicking off, it has always seemed like mid-December was a period of increasing day activity for deer. Even last week after the .5" rain, everyone was bedded down by 9am and it felt like an October hunt searching for bedded bucks!

Screenshot_20211217-082441_Gallery.thumb.jpg.18fc39e073a6961c6ce6e0de44294393.jpg

Looks like a good one, i think id be comfortable shooting him bedded, not necessarily through his face though. You holding out for something bigger?

9 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Looks like a good one, i think id be comfortable shooting him bedded, not necessarily through his face though. You holding out for something bigger?

I would definitely have shot him bedded if I wanted the hunt to end. Given I've applied for this hunt for 13 years and this my first time with the tag, I definitely did not want it to end on day 2 of a 21 day hunt.

I'm also looking for something a little more like this..

1024150715-1-1.jpg.ad60e2145eb02475f14ea660b59530e8.jpg

• Like 7

Fair enough, temps dropping down here this weekend. Hopefully they start moving around for you more.

• Like 1

Was hoping to hunt the last week of December, but didn’t have the patience! Ended up tagging out opening day on this unique guy. 

165DBBAC-365D-4FAC-BA12-8ABAC3FA32B0.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Great Buck! 1

4 hours ago, L0gan4 said:

Was hoping to hunt the last week of December, but didn’t have the patience! 

Depending on where you hunt, you may have made a very good decision! Congratulations on a nice buck!

Screenshot_20211221-040833_DuckDuckGo.thumb.jpg.e0b1d72c569124b54118bf9f4966fdba.jpg

I will be washed out of the hunting grounds I know best before my coveted part of the hunt even begins.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Wow! 1

A week ago, the forecast was way better rain.  Now around Tucson is very little chance.  Disappointing.  I think they hope for rain.  But my wife always gets upset at me watching the weather forecast and tells me "Those that live by the weather forecast, don't go." And that leads to the other motto:  Best time to go fishing/hunting --ANYTIME YOU CAN!

It's hard to argue with the results.  And that leads to the last idiom:  If you pass up good shots, be willing to go home with nothing.    CONGRATS!  :D

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Finding does 14 yesterday

13 sunday with only one little buck chasing

hope the big bucks starting chasing before end of December

Anyone seeing rutting coues yet?

• Like 1

Finally saw a good buck acting a bit rutty this morning. He was raking trees and and looking at the lady's but never gave chase. It's been rough. Don't know if the moon or me just not being able to find them. Hope my luck changes soon.

I haven’t been out looking but I would just have to think the deer will be rutting a bit later just going off how long they had velvet. But maybe the carp are rutting good idk 

9 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

I haven’t been out looking but I would just have to think the deer will be rutting a bit later just going off how long they had velvet. But maybe the carp are rutting good idk 

They just started going good in 8. Not sure about the desert bucks.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

The coues down south are still bachelored up.

Areas I'm glassing have both. Haven't seen a single buck with mule deer does either...

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Big or Bust said:

The coues down south are still bachelored up.

Not this one.

Vd6zVZT.jpg

• Like 7
  • Wow! 1

14 minutes ago, JFP said:

Not this one.

Vd6zVZT.jpg

Obviously not a complete blanket statement by me but in multiple units on bucks 90+" I've been watching all summer,  they are still in groups of 3-6 including a group of 6 just this morning who busted me as I was about the fling an arrow at a 95" buck. 

Feel free to nit pick a bit more. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 4