Sign in to follow this  
AZ_Hunter0917

Coatimundi Calling

We were quail hunting and ran into some coatimundis and have been wanting to kill one for a while. I was wondering if you can call them in and if anyone knows what calls to use.

Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AZ_Hunter0917 said:

We were quail hunting and ran into some coatimundis and have been wanting to kill one for a while. I was wondering if you can call them in and if anyone knows what calls to use.

Thanks.

I’ve called some on a loud mouse call, it is loud squeaky critter call.

I have called them in occasionally, never on purpose.  Just about any distress call will work. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JFP said:

I have called them in occasionally, never on purpose.  Just about any distress call will work. 

They are curious. We have called in lone males.

• Like 2

I have wanted to shoot one for years.  But I always saw them while hunting something else and didn't want to mess up a hunt. It is good to know that they can be called in.

I called one a couple days ago. It never came all the way into the caller and was watching the caller from a position I couldn't see. It got up an ran when I went to retrieve the caller. took me to long to figure out what the thing was a first so I didn't shoot. I was calling in a rocky wooded canyon and several times during the stand I heard noise like something was jumping around on rocks. I think it might have been the coati moving around. I was using a mixture of rabbit and fox distress and it was mid day.

Years ago I was bow hunting out of a blind and had one come right up to the blind after using a doe estrus bleat call. It appeared to be mostly just curious.

Both times they where lone male coatis. I think they seam to respond more out of curiosity than a predator dive. The one I called recently didn't appear to be hunting the caller but just curious about the sound. Biased on the noises I heard I think it had been moving around just out of sight during most of the stand. If you try calling for one I think just about any sound will work but they might not come in like most predators so you might need to think a little outside the box when setting up your stand. 

• Like 1