Sign in to follow this  
HuntHarder

Pressure washing skull

Anyone tried this yet? I've heard good things about it.  Im thinking of giving it a go. My pressure washer is electric and claims 2300psi, which should be plenty.  Kind of getting sick of spending 150$ on such an easy job.  

You have to boil it first.  Pressure washing alone will not get everything off of the skull.  Lots of videos on YouTube and it is pretty easy.  I picked up a frier at Cabelas and a tub big enough for an elk at CalRanch.  

4 minutes ago, bigj23 said:

You have to boil it first.  Pressure washing alone will not get everything off of the skull.  Lots of videos on YouTube and it is pretty easy.  I picked up a frier at Cabelas and a tub big enough for an elk at CalRanch.  

I've watched a couple of videos showing just pressure washing, no boiling. 

It probably could be done but some areas would be tough to get everything out.  I have done probably 20+ skulls and they are tough even when they are not boiled long enough.  The Dawn and baking soda helps get the grease out too.  Some people use OxiClean as well.  

• Like 1

Thanks man! I used to boil them and then get some hair salon bleach to get the skull bright white.  I was really hoping this pressure washing deal was the silver bullet.  Lol

I lightly boil to break down grease the pressure wash. Works better than scrubbing.

12 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

You guys think a gas powered washer will damage a skull? I think mine is like 3000 psi

I used a gas pressure washer and it is a little much around the sinus area buy just hold it further away. 

With oxiclean be careful it will remove color so tape them up and use plastic wrap 

28 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

You guys think a gas powered washer will damage a skull? I think mine is like 3000 psi

3000 is great if you know how and where to spray, nozzles to use, etc. If you don't have a lot of experience spraying them, know they weak spots on a skull, and how to avoid them, etc. stick below 2000 PSI. Even then be careful. We see A LOT of skulls with blown out nasal cavities, separated top nasal bones, etc. that can be avoided with a little patience, caution, and experience. Unfortunately we even see this from lots of posts by "skull guys" who rush the job.

Hit me up if you have any questions. I'd be happy to help anyone with tips. We, my son and I, have spent the several years doing 1000+ skulls while trying pretty much every method you have heard of. Happy to offer tips to anyone looking to do their own.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, rossislider said:

3000 is great if you know how and where to spray, nozzles to use, etc. If you don't have a lot of experience spraying them, know they weak spots on a skull, and how to avoid them, etc. stick below 2000 PSI. Even then be careful. We see a lot of skulls with blown out nasal cavities, separated top nasal bones, etc. that can be avoided with a little patience, caution, and experience.

Whats your preferred boiling ingredients?

10 minutes ago, CatfishKev said:

Whats your preferred boiling ingredients?

Actually, it depends on the animal. For the most part, some combination of Dawn and Oxy. The Oxy can be strong and rough on the bone if you use too much, so we minimize how much we use. None on thinner boned animals. It is nice because it is fantastic for breaking down tissue (much better than Dawn alone). It (Oxy) makes for quicker and easier spraying, but use too much and simmer in it for too long and the bone will get chalky and you will see a lot more bone separation as I mentioned above. Less Oxy is better until you get a feel for it. Dawn alone works fine and is much more gentle on the bone. But it will require more work when spraying. If you are just doing your own skulls and have lots of time, I would probably avoid using Oxy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, rossislider said:

Actually, it depends on the animal. For the most part, some combination of Dawn and Oxy. The Oxy can be strong and rough on the bone if you use too much, so we minimize how much we use. None on thinner boned animals. It is nice because it is fantastic for breaking down tissue (much better than Dawn alone). It (Oxy) makes for quicker and easier spraying, but use too much and simmer in it for too long and the bone will get chalky and you will see a lot more bone separation as I mentioned above. Less Oxy is better until you get a feel for it. Dawn alone works fine and is much more gentle on the bone. But it will require more work when spraying. If you are just doing your own skulls and have lots of time, I would probably avoid using Oxy.

Do you boil first before pressure washing?  How long do you boil if you do ( mule deer.)  I used to boil around 3 hours with dawn and water and the pick out the remaining meat.  After watching some videos online pressure washing, I am just wondering if this is a better way.  One of my taxidermists pressure washes, the other one still boils.