Yuma Outdoorsman

2021 Rut....

I haven't seen a thread about the rut so far. The last 3 weeks have been a whirlwind in my house because of our whole family getting covid but I am itching to get out and look for deer. I've got some friends that have been out and the rut activity is going in certain pockets. A lot of smaller bucks pushing and mounting does. The bigger bucks coming in and out of the herd, not quite committed to controlling the does yet. Then there are some bucks that are running in pairs and small 3-5 buck bachelor herds and herds of does without any bucks around them. January is my favorite time of year to hunt. Good luck to those that are out hunting and trying to punch their December tag and good luck to the guys starting over in January. 

Glassed up a southern Az muley last Friday that was completely broken off on his left side and also snapped off on his right side main beam after the g2. Must have been rutting pretty hard to get that destroyed. Unfortunately I never saw the buck that did it to him. Looked like he might have been a solid 150-160 type deer also. 

• Like 2

I was out looking at some remote properties today, not hunting. Of course I came across two groups of mule deer. 6 younger bucks sniffing does. And no more than 30-40 yards away. Ouch.

• Like 2

I went out Friday and Sunday and saw does alone. And saw 2 bucks with a doe but they weren’t acting rutty. But then my friend said they were going where he was 

• Like 1

Saw one cruising and scraping this morning and one mature buck with does tonight. Couldn’t put an arrow into either unfortunately.

D3CD6B7D-7809-40F4-9114-E8858D85E84D.thumb.jpeg.840acfbb58f36eb4a23b89326934bf9e.jpeg

• Like 8

I've spent a good amount of time out this Dec.  The rut has been almost non-existent in both central units.  I have seen one good buck rutting and that has been it.  Many days spent seeing 20-40 does with 0 bucks or only a few smaller bucks.  Last year at this same time, my areas were on fire with multiple bucks fighting and courting the does.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tradman said:

I've been rifle hunting the rez up here in Northern Arizona since yesterday, opening day. Seen 2 bucks together. Haven't seen a single doe yet.

Supposed to get some snow up here starting tomorrow. Hope so. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tradman said:

Supposed to get some snow up here starting tomorrow. Hope so. 

Yup, I was up north. Pretty good chill in the air.

• Like 2

Been out several times but have seen only does with little guys. Rut typically doesn't get rolling good in the areas I hunt until around the 10th of January.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, creed said:

Been out several times but have seen only does with little guys. Rut typically doesn't get rolling good in the areas I hunt until around the 10th of January.

I think for the units I like the hunt the last 2 weeks of January are when it’s the hottest but sometimes you can get lucky and find them rutting sooner. The next full  moon isn’t until Jan 17th so I’m thinking by then the big boys should be ready to play. 

It’s on in 3b lots of rutting going on lol…

• Like 1

A buddy of mine up in 20C is scouting for his pig hunt and said he saw a herd of 12 does with a nice 3x3 and the buck was pushing the does very aggressively. He left his bow in camp because he was just headed to town to get some stuff they forgot and the buck pushed the does across the road in front of them at 60 yards, didn't even care they were sitting there watching. He is kicking himself now. He is going to try and pick them up again tomorrow morning and make a play. 

Spent yesterday in southern most area of 20C where I've seen a lot of deer in the past. All I saw were jackrabbits. Considered tagging one of them hares after he hopped over and stared cross eyed at me.

Headed farther north in the unit. I want to spend New years day making deer jerky.