Yuma Outdoorsman

2021 Rut....

I got to 67 from a mature 3x3 but there was brush. I might have been  able to shoot and the arrow could have gone over the brush and dipped in but I couldn’t decide if I really wanted him 

• Like 3

On 1/1/2022 at 7:45 PM, Jacob...soaz said:

Found this guy yesterday pushing does .. 

20211231_125744_exported_2961_1641091458848.jpg

Looks like he is pushing up daisys now.... congratulations 

On 12/30/2021 at 2:08 PM, trphyhntr said:

Well…

After several days, revisited the area. Found my arrow and also found I had misjudged the bucks distance by 22yards. Just flat out missed and the wily buck used the terrain to give me the slip.

Spent Thursday in 44a then over to 20c. Not a deer moving in either unit but tons of fresh sign in the later.

Any updates?

20 minutes ago, Edge said:

After several days, revisited the area. Found my arrow and also found I had misjudged the bucks distance by 22yards. Just flat out missed and the wily buck used the terrain to give me the slip.

Spent Thursday in 44a then over to 20c. Not a deer moving in either unit but tons of fresh sign in the later.

Any updates?

Thats good news! Clean miss is always better.

Young mulies pushing, no mounting though that ive seen. 

We have seen 18 bucks I believe in the past 3 days. Out of those bucks only 2 were non shooters. A couple of them were absolute studs. North of the 180” mark. 4 of them were all after one doe the other day fighting and posturing for her company. Day to day it just keeps getting better. And here I am stuck at work waiting for the clock to strike 2 so I can get back out there 

• Like 5

IMG_20220108_181459.png.79f211f6a681d8b1597eac517d6c6608.png

Them cows deer are fornucating. 

Saw a old mature muley totally distracted at last light.  Snuck with 60 yards when he turned and ran full throttle right at me, he turned at 20 yards.  A much larger buck was getting him away from his does.  

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

I have been hunting one of my favorite spots the last 3 days without seeing a deer and scarcely any sign. Dog tracks everywhere. Yesterday I glassed them up. A pack of 5 domestic dogs roaming the desert. I am thinking they have pushed the deer out. Time to move on I guess.

• Like 1

had one of my yearly total f-ups today. Had what looked like a 5x4 at 57 I was looking into the sun, I kept ranging and it wouldn’t work. Finally get it. He walks off, I kill myself. 

• Sad 1

I'm having my butt handed to me as we speak.  Chasing a very large buck with three does.  The does don't stop moving.  Tracking them in tall grass is hard.  

Seems like the rut varies by location? I was up in 24a last weekend and just saw solo doe's and 1 solo buck (youngster). Up in the mountains (man, it's a shame the burn it got (again), but should be good in a few years).

The rut should be starting (or I missed it, lol).

Good luck all!

I missed a 175”+ buck yesterday. Snuck into 60 yards of him and all his does bedded. Something spooked them and they ran closer to me. I had ranged a few things previously and when he stepped out I shot for 40. He was 36 and my arrow went just over his back. I dragged my feet and bow all the way back to the glassing knob. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tj_G91 said:

I missed a 175”+ buck yesterday. Snuck into 60 yards of him and all his does bedded. Something spooked them and they ran closer to me. I had ranged a few things previously and when he stepped out I shot for 40. He was 36 and my arrow went just over his back. I dragged my feet and bow all the way back to the glassing knob. 

Hopefully you get another shot at him. 

• Thanks 1