Sneaker

Hiking boot selection, heel issues

I love hiking and have purchased many many pairs of boots over the years, but I’m have a consistent issue I’m hoping to get some help on. For relatively flat lands and soft terrain I usually go with lighter flexible hikers and don’t normally have issues even at long distances. When I get into steep terrain and rock however, my feet get beat up if the shoe is too soft and I try and go to a stiffer more “mountain” type boots. The problem is every stiffer boot I try seems like the vertical heal area of the boot is super hard with no padding and no matter how I do my lacing and sock situation, I get pain like bruising or blistering where my Achilles connects to my heal. Anyone have luck with finding a stiffer boot that has a little cushion in the vertical heal area? I’m 6 foot and 160, pretty standard arched foot shape.

I have Crispi Nevadas, and love them. They are not super stiff, but are not a light hiker. They are a midrange boot I think. I use redwing insoles in them with arch support because I have flat feet. I am not a super heavy duty hiker, but at the end of the day my feet aren't feeling bad. The rest of me might, but not my feet. I am big and heavy too. 6'4" and 315lbs. When I hiked out my elk this year I bet I was over 440-450lbs with my gear and meat onboard. It was a 2.5 mile hike out, and I covered parts of it twice to retrieve meat my buddy had to put down. 

• Like 1

I would try Superfeet or SOLE boot insoles. You didnt mention what boot was giving you trouble? 

• Like 2

+ 1 on the green Superfeet insoles.  I immediately swap out the factory insoles with green Superfeet insoles on my light-duty hikers and I'm good to go in the deep, steep, rocky stuff. 

I recently picked up a pair of Oboz "Bridger" hikers and didn't need to add the Superfeet insoles because the factory insoles were so good.  They've been great so far but the mile count is not high yet.

Good luck.

• Like 2

ditch the boots and go with a trail runner. Try on a pair of Hoka One One Speedgoat 4’s. best trail shoe i’ve worn and I’ve worn a lot. Altra’s are good too. 

They have so much padding your foot won’t get beat up, yet very flexible  

I have some minor plantar fasciitis.  Similar symptoms as you  I went to the foot doc and he said my bands are tight and I need to work on stretching.  

https://www.hoka.com/en/us/mens-trail/speedgoat-4/194715327986.html?source=shoppingsite_PLA_1106528-FPBL-10EE&kpid=1106528-FPBL-10EE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIj56LhpiJ9QIVSxitBh3qcQBpEAQYASABEgIbq_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 2

I've used a lot of boots myself. My go to for average hiking are Solomon GX4 for instant comfort and the Lowa Zephyrs for longer and heavy packing. There is a lot of heel cushioning in the Zephyrs. 

• Like 1

I am on what I call a boot journey. Ordered some Crispi Nevadas recently from Sportsman's Warehouse and they sent me a floor model or something. One boot, that is normally the one that is a little tighter, was way more loose than the other boot. I sent those back. I'll just say that their customer service isn't the best. Based on suggestions on my foot type I tried some Meindl USA Comfort Fit Hikers next. Those just showed up yesterday. I'm trying to decide if they are too small or not. Their sizing is funky. I had to size down about a whole size. They are made in Germany and have top notch craftsmanship, and although I usually go with something from the USA or Italy, these are great. Those and the Nevadas definitely have a lot more ankle padding than the Zamberlans I have been wearing, and the Meindl in particular seem to have a very padded achilles area. I think the Crispis have a little less flex in the sole than the Meindls.

I have also noticed that over the last ten years or so my feet have gotten a little longer and a fair bit wider. I have skinny ankles, narrow heels, and bit wider than normal toe area. Keen probably fit my feet the best but they are more or less junk after about a year or so it seems. Their materials aren't the best I guess.

• Like 1

Even when my feet are in good hiking shape, I'll get rubbing on my heels under a heavy pack, just like you're saying. So now before a heavy hiking/hunting trip, I'll put a piece of leuko tape over my heel where I know I'll have issues. It's a game changer.

Ben

• Like 3

I gave up buying boots online unless it is the same boot I have already worn. Best bet would be hit some high end hiking stores and get measured and try on a bunch of boots. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, cannonball said:

kinesio tape then duct tape over.

I have the same issue. I can form a backside heel blister so fast if it were an Olympic sport I'd be the GOAT.

A non-issue in hiking boots but in my Danner Pronghorns they severely limit my range. I want to love these boots for steep country as the ankle support is top-notch but they kill me on up hill climbs. 

My slip on cowboy/work boots are easier on me than those Danners in steep country and that should never be true.

Don't waste your money on those gel wrap-around heal covers as I can never keep them in place. 

I also use superfeet insoles too but they don't fix the heel blisters that occur just below your achillies tendon.

I think I need to learn how to tape them up without the tape balling up on the edges. 

The struggle is real. 

• Like 2

My boot search never ends. I suffer from Metatarsalgia (ball of foot pain). I’m good until about mile 3, then the discomfort begins.

Surprisingly, after I got back to the truck on a recent hunt, I threw on my tennis shoes and finished the hunt with zero pain! Support was lacking, but man, having no pain and discomfort felt great.  I’ve pretty much giving up on hunting boots now. Just gonna go with a trail or hiker shoe that’ll give me a little more support than my tennis shoes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Heat said:

I am on what I call a boot journey. Ordered some Crispi Nevadas recently from Sportsman's Warehouse and they sent me a floor model or something. One boot, that is normally the one that is a little tighter, was way more loose than the other boot. I sent those back. I'll just say that their customer service isn't the best. Based on suggestions on my foot type I tried some Meindl USA Comfort Fit Hikers next. Those just showed up yesterday. I'm trying to decide if they are too small or not. Their sizing is funky. I had to size down about a whole size. They are made in Germany and have top notch craftsmanship, and although I usually go with something from the USA or Italy, these are great. Those and the Nevadas definitely have a lot more ankle padding than the Zamberlans I have been wearing, and the Meindl in particular seem to have a very padded achilles area. I think the Crispis have a little less flex in the sole than the Meindls.

I have also noticed that over the last ten years or so my feet have gotten a little longer and a fair bit wider. I have skinny ankles, narrow heels, and bit wider than normal toe area. Keen probably fit my feet the best but they are more or less junk after about a year or so it seems. Their materials aren't the best I guess.

I bought a pair of the Meindls last spring and so far its the best boot I have had.  They are really comfortable. I used them this year on everything from coues in AZ to caribou in Alaska.  The only complaint I had was that on the end of day 3 in AK they started getting wet inside. The guys I was with had the same problem with Crispis. 

• Like 2

On 12/29/2021 at 11:27 AM, thegunsmith2506 said:

I bought a pair of the Meindls last spring and so far its the best boot I have had.  They are really comfortable. I used them this year on everything from coues in AZ to caribou in Alaska.  The only complaint I had was that on the end of day 3 in AK they started getting wet inside. The guys I was with had the same problem with Crispis. 

I put the Meindls on again just now with a lighter pair of merino socks, which is what I will be wearing most often I think. I paid particular attention to lacing the right boot a bit more loose than the left. It was feeling a bit tighter but everything felt better today. I am close to cutting off the tags on them and calling it good!

Update - All In! Tags are off!

20211230_162835.jpg

• Like 2

Same issue w heavy boots like Kenetreks. Blisters from lift can ruin a hunt.  Picked up Altra Lone Peak 4.5 trail runners for a 100 mile section of the AZT.  Loved them. 20 miles/day no problem. They have a rock plate so your feet hold up on the rough terrain.  I added a short pair of the Kenetrek gaiters and now I brush beat w the Altras.  I won’t go back to lugging around a five pound weight on each foot in the form of a hiking boot.  

I wore this setup this year for my rifle mule deer, 23n rifle rut elk hunt, and all my OTC archery coues.  I don’t hunt roads and I don’t cruise trails.  I like brush beating and hiking hills.   The thistle was high this year and the addition of the gaiters was key. 

I used this same setup for cold weather PA whitetail hunting and packed a pair of booties to slip over my Altras when I got to my stand.  

I have a size 14 pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extremes with a 100 or so miles on them.  Dust collectors.

• Like 2