Sneaker

Hiking boot selection, heel issues

I've been through two pairs of Cabela's Meindle Perfect Hiker boots. Most comfortable/supportive boots I've owned....so I thought...until I bought Crispi Valdres. They are really nice and comfortable. Besides Ross Outdoors, I found out Archery Headquarters carries Crispi, which is closer to me. Three weeks after buying them and doing some mild break in around the park, I wore them on a three day backpack hunt in northern Idaho, about 20 miles. No issues at all! Love these boots! I also put in the Super Feet insoles. 

On 12/28/2021 at 8:30 PM, Sneaker said:

I love hiking and have purchased many many pairs of boots over the years, but I’m have a consistent issue I’m hoping to get some help on. For relatively flat lands and soft terrain I usually go with lighter flexible hikers and don’t normally have issues even at long distances. When I get into steep terrain and rock however, my feet get beat up if the shoe is too soft and I try and go to a stiffer more “mountain” type boots. The problem is every stiffer boot I try seems like the vertical heal area of the boot is super hard with no padding and no matter how I do my lacing and sock situation, I get pain like bruising or blistering where my Achilles connects to my heal. Anyone have luck with finding a stiffer boot that has a little cushion in the vertical heal area? I’m 6 foot and 160, pretty standard arched foot shape.

Heal:  https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/heal

Heel: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/heel

So, your heel won't heal?

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, arizonian said:

Homophones are a b*tch sometimes. Especially if you are typing fast and spellcheck leaves you hanging. 

Thank god for context allowing us to discern the intent. 

• Like 3

Wore the Meindl boots out of the house to Lowes the other day. Those are a winner for sure.

Also trying these Made in USA Rocky S2V military style boots. These should be great for most hunts. With the stitch down and glued sole at $120 I had to give them a shot. Just wide enough for my flippers without having to order the wide. Went with my normal athletic shoe size. So far, so good surprisingly!

20220120_154157.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 4:08 PM, Heat said:

Wore the Meindl boots out of the house to Lowes the other day. Those are a winner for sure.

Also trying these Made in USA Rocky S2V military style boots. These should be great for most hunts. With the stitch down and glued sole at $120 I had to give them a shot. Just wide enough for my flippers without having to order the wide. Went with my normal athletic shoe size. So far, so good surprisingly!

20220120_154157.jpg

The S2V are great once broke in. The heel tends to eat me raw during break-in. 

• Like 1

I had pretty much the same problem all my life.  Ordered a pair of Hanwag Alaskan GTX boots with custom footbed from Lathrop and Sons, and they have been excellent.  I have covered hundreds of miles, many in rough country, and have never had a blister.  They are not cheap, but I would buy another pair without a second thought.  Right now, I am at the point of finding a good cobbler to re-sole my current pair.

Can't comment on the other posts with respect to various brands.  I am sure there are many that are good, but how well do the hunting forums support re-selling pairs of boots after you try them and then need to try something else?  I have seen some great deals on used boots, and maybe that is the way to go.  However, you might wait a long time for the right size and model to come along.

One thing I have found helpful is when I have a hunt coming up, I start rubbing my feet with alcohol about 3 weeks prior.  I have heard it helps toughen the skin.  Also found Vaseline between the toes reduces friction when you are in rough country all day.

• Like 1

I have had real good luck with the Lowa Tibet boot, but so far in AZ have just gone with lightweight trail shoes.

Bought a used pair of Kennetrek Hardscrabbles a few years back and for $150, sent them back to Bozeman for a tune up - came back just like new. For me, the hardscrabble feel like a good middle ground between a stiffer mountain boot like the Lowa and a trail shoe.

• Like 1

Keen and Merrell are known as two famous brands specializing in the design and production of leisure footwear. If you love hiking, don't miss these hiking boots from these two famous brands. Keen and Merrell hiking boots are of excellent quality in their own ways. But what Merrell stands out when compared to Keen is its durability. I can easily say that Merrell is more durable and will last longer compared to Keen shoes. As for Keen shoes, they are perfect for occasionally hiking people.