dsotm

Where to have shotgun drilled and tapped?

Curious as well. The last shop I asked down here in Tucson quoted me $80 per hole for 4 on a tac 14. I took that to mean they didn't really want the job, seems a bit much I dunno.

6 hours ago, fatbastard said:

Curious as well. The last shop I asked down here in Tucson quoted me $80 per hole for 4 on a tac 14. I took that to mean they didn't really want the job, seems a bit much I dunno.

I’d save the 80 a hole… that critter will be just as dead with a brass bead. 

• Like 1

from what I have seen in the firearm customization world, inexpensive/cheap work can be good but it also can suck and most often does.  I've seen lots of bad work.

The following are some of what we see at the shop where I work.

Barrels cut crowned and threaded sloppy or non-concentrically

choke tubes threaded off center,

bolt knob installed crooked,

holes drilled and taped in receivers that didn't line up with the mount,

ruined receivers,

sights silver soldered on crooked

and other odd stuff. 

The places that charge more do make mistakes, however they have covered the cost to replace the damaged items or replaced them themselves without telling us until after.

the old adage "You get what you pay for" is normally the case.  

I send my shotgun barrels to Briley, my HK work to RDTS, and other work to smiths that do good work and stand behind it. It costs more but I've yet to be stung by someone who specializes in what I have sent them.  

side note, same goes for inexpensive parts bought off of the internet.  lots of knockoff, out of spec, crap is purchased to save money.  

Quality costs more. 

• Like 1

Quality is going to cost .What's that saying you get what you pay for.Good gunsmiths are not cheap and they usually have a wait to get things done but the wait is bacause they are good.I had a break installed on my 300 wm awhile back at a shop in scottsdale was a reputable shop till the Smith retired.needless to say my threads looked like they were cut with a dull paperclip it was a mess and I almost cut the end of the barrel to correct it.on the other hand I've had Keith at Phoenix custom do work on my gun and just picked up the youth giveaway gun from axis and am impressed with the level of detail and quality of work .not cheap but outstanding work.quality and it shows.

• Like 1

Not sure why you’d want a red dot on a shot gun.  That would seriously slow you down.  You never see champion trap shooters use dots.  

12 hours ago, bojangles said:

I’d save the 80 a hole… that critter will be just as dead with a brass bead. 

I didn't save any money, just didn't give to that guy. I ended up with a rifle sighted, ported barrel.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bojangles said:

Not sure why you’d want a red dot on a shot gun.  That would seriously slow you down.  You never see champion trap shooters use dots.  

He is going to use it for turkey and yotes. It really helps when the stock doesn't fit you too well and you can't get a good cheek weld to see the bead. Anyway those people who shoot trap at that level are using shotguns  that run into the tens of thousands of dollars.

• Like 1

Hi viz makes a fiber optic magnetic sight I guess they call it .sticks on the rib in front of the bead and works great .I put one on my 870 and it helps me focus on the bead and target.

the Burris SpeedBead system is pretty good.  Gets the red dot low to the bore.  You are limited to what red dot you use but the Burris Fastfire is a good red dot.

I have had one on my Super Black Eagle for years. 

• Like 1