zslayer

Which Hunting Rig?

Anybody ever read Pat McManus' story about huntin' rigs?

Basically, any rig your buddy owns is a "nice little huntin' rig" 

It could be a Toyota Corolla and you compliment him on the short wheelbase and front-wheel drive to help climb steep dirt roads...... 

Years ago had a buddy and we both had "company trucks" mine was a 2000 chevy 2wd long bed and his was an '04 F150 2wd lb and I complimented him on the higher clearance than my Chevy.  That weekend we were boondocking in the F150 for mulies and he almost put a rock through his oil pan. The look he gave me was priceless. A cross between being pissed and disbelief I talked him into it. 

The take-away is the best huntin' rig is the one your buddy owns, no matter what it is. 🤣

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

I saw a guy with a Escape go down a road lickity split that I would not take my truck down.  Get an old beater that you dont care about.  VW bugs were great off road.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ThomC said:

I saw a guy with a Escape go down a road lickity split that I would not take my truck down.  Get an old beater that you dont care about.  VW bugs were great off road.  

My brother had a bug when we were teenagers…he followed lots of friends with 4wd, went mudding in it, took it just about everywhere. LoL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThomC said:

A Ford Escape would last about half way down the highway 

On 1/15/2022 at 7:24 AM, bigorange said:

My brother had a bug when we were teenagers…he followed lots of friends with 4wd, went mudding in it, took it just about everywhere. LoL

My first hunting vehicle was a VW Bug turned Baja.  NOT very reliable.  Broke the shocks on the first trip.  Lousy gas mileage (Weber) and no heater.  No AC.  No storage capacity although I did carry a deer out under the front hood.  Way too high a gear ratio for off road.  It was fun cruising Speedway, though.   

• Like 1

My rig is a short bed 2003 GMC 4x4 crewcab with Quadrasteer & a Warn winch.  It will & does go just about anywhere, will not get "stuck for long", turns about as sharp as a Chevy Blazer, yet is comfortable heading down the freeway & tows like a 3/4 ton.

Good luck finding one though!

28 minutes ago, zslayer said:

Anyone have any experience with the Jeep Liberty?

I don't have personal experience but a coworker steadily cussed the one he had.  Computer issues, death wobble, etc.

• Like 1

I drive a bronco. It's like a Jeep, but for men.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Explorer said:

I drive a bronco. It's like a Jeep, but for men.

Not the new Broncos

There like the prius of the off-road world .give it to ford for putting a skirt on a explorer and calling it a bronco .only the early Broncos were bad a$$ the ones from the late 60s and 70s.

• Like 2

Just now, Crazymonkey said:

Not the new Broncos

There like the prius of the off-road world .give it to ford for putting a skirt on a explorer and calling it a bronco .only the early Broncos were bad a$$ the ones from the late 60s and 70s.

Those new things are not Broncos. And all real Broncos are bada $$. the new thing did drive up the value of my real ones though.

• Like 1

Love my Tacoma. 4 door 4x4 Gen 2. Can take 3 buddies, plus throw all the gear and animals in the back. I've taken it anywhere a jeep will go. 

• Like 1