JSR

Scope recommendation

Looking for recommendations on a good, (relatively) lightweight scope.

20x magnification maximum. Would prefer 15x-18x

MOA

Glass quality is important but more emphasis on tracking repeatability.

NO VORTEX!!!!

I'm putting together a new rifle on an XLR magnesium chassis, carbon fiber butt stock and carbon barrel. 

I'm too old and round now to be hauling a 12 lb rifle up and down the mountain.

• Like 1

Probably lighter options out there, but for repeatability and return to zero, I would look at a SWFA 3-15X42 if you can find one. 

• Like 1

My rifles are at 9 1/2 lbs with the SIGHTRON SIII series and they track perfectly every single time!

I have a Sightron SIII on my 7MM. Its a fine scope. I just don't need or want that much magnification.

The SIII's only come in 24X and up.

I think I paid $900 for my SIII maybe 6-7 years ago. I just looked them up. $1800-$2800. Thanks Joe!

I've never used the SII's. They have one in a 16x. Are they as good as the SIII's?

I'm going to through out there the Swaro Z5 in 3.5 X 18.   Great glass for around $1200.00.  I own two of them and wouldn't hesitate to get a third.   Put a custom turret on top (which I did to both) and it is hard to beat for a quality hunting scope.   

• Like 2

6 hours ago, recurveman said:

I'm going to through out there the Swaro Z5 in 3.5 X 18.   Great glass for around $1200.00.  I own two of them and wouldn't hesitate to get a third.   Put a custom turret on top (which I did to both) and it is hard to beat for a quality hunting scope.   

And they don't weigh two pounds.

Only issue with the Swarovski Z5 is that their turret will only  dial up 14.25 MOA.  I have one and it's a great scope but I can only shoot out to 725 yards with my  6.5x47.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Schmitty said:

Only issue with the Swarovski Z5 is that their turret will only  dial up 14.25 MOA.  I have one and it's a great scope but I can only shoot out to 725 yards with my  6.5x47.

Agreed.   I think it is a great option for rifles that are only looking to shoot 500-600 yards.   My 308 gets out to almost 700 yards and I think that is plenty good for that rifle.   The Z5 scope isn't on my "long range" gun

12 hours ago, Schmitty said:

Do you have an MOA base? You can get tapered rails to 40MOA