Sign in to follow this  
Esiegel91

Feeling a bit discouraged

So long story short, I’m in az,  I’ve missed 2 deer (bow) in the last 3 seasons, first time was a 42.5 yard shot, 2nd was 55, I have no issues finding deer, but man, it seems like I just can’t seal the deal no matter what I do.  Any advice would be awesome. This season I’m having a hard time finding bucks but I think everyone is from what I read on fb and stuff. 

Keep doing what you are doing. Keep practicing, keep stalking and it will work out. If you have never killed a buck spot and stalk it takes quite a few tries and lots of effort before  it happens. Once the 1st one happens they come in bunches.  For a while nothing goes right and then nothing can go wrong.  Back in 2006 or 2007 I missed a 110+ coues at 40 yards and a 175+ mule deer buck at 47.   7 days apart.  Took years for that sting to stop.

When I first started I figured it took 5 stalks before I got a shot.  When I was hunting a lot of OTC I got to the point I got a shot about half of the stalks I did. Missed a lot still but had the opportunity 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pick a spot. Don’t look at antlers. If you’re good at that range CONSISTENTLY when practicing, it’s nerves.  Pick a spot. Make your mind forget antlers, animal, etc.... focus on hitting the target. And  it goes without saying don’t take shots on deer on high alert or bad angles. Targets don’t move, animals will.  It took me six years of archery elk hunting to finally get a cow in the early 90’s.  Then I filled almost  every bow tag I had after that for years,  it’s a learning curve.

• Like 2

I felt the same way when I started with a bow.I could get close but not get a shot.IF it wasn't a bad angle it was getting winded.Then after 10 plus years I finally got a 12a tag and was in the deer and got a shot and hit the buck right in the shoulder and at 18 yrds at that .We looked for several hours for my buck and never found him .Only a drop or 2 of blood every 4 or 5 feet.It was a real kick in the nuts for sure .It made me really think about my setup and I switched to a fixed blade and will definitely aim for the second rib back .Keep at it and it will happen.

• Like 1

often we practice a lot prior to Jan (or another hunt), then because we are hunting every opportunity we get, practice can take a back seat, we shoot very little and fundamentals can slip- make sure you are practicing / shooting in Jan during the hunt. 

The curse after shooting at an animal is prematurely dropping the bow arm to get a better view of the arrow, follow through is super important. 

Good luck, been where you are multiple times in 28 years...

• Like 5

Lots of good advice. I went through the same thing.  What helped me the most was what NOTAGS said. Once you decide to shoot don’t look at the antlers again. Pick a spot and concentrate on that spot only. And practice. If you’re getting close but missing you’re  prime to wound an animal and lose it. That’s one of the worst feelings in the world. 

• Like 1

Definitely easier said than done but as these guys have said try not to look at the antlers. My archery skills are a work in progress but what has helped me a lot when bow hunting and rifle hunting is the 4 7 8 breathing technique. Look it up. Hard to believe how much it will calm the nerves and settle a racing mind. I try to start concentrating on my breathing from the beginning of a stalk

That’s nothing. I get a shot like once every 10 stalks and I’ve missed probably 7 deer and wounded 3 with my bow. Surely you’ll get one before I do 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Keep at it. Bow hunting is hard. That’s  the one thing a social media post will never tell you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trphyhntr said:

Closer than 42!? 

I mean, if you can’t hit it at 42, maybe 32 would be more better?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's nerves. When you get too excited you always seem to screw it up, at least I do. Stay calm, focus on shooting properly, make the opportunity count. You worked too hard to get that opportunity to screw it up. You can look at antlers later. 

• Like 2

"The curse after shooting at an animal is prematurely dropping the bow arm to get a better view of the arrow, follow through is super important. "

Spot on!   Heck, I had to train myself not to do it on targets as well.

• Like 1