Sign in to follow this  
jcarter

Help with cost of building a shop/garage

We are looking at building a detached RV and car garage in Pima county. Metal building is not an option so it will have to be stucco with a flat roof. Half of it will be 14ft walls. Approximately 1200 square ft.  I have quotes for approx $85 a sqft.

I will be subbing the work out myself just wondering if anyone has recently gone through the process themselves. Looking for what it is running  a square ft. Ballpark.

Thanks Andy

Why not get some quotes from contractors? Do you have plans to submit for a permit? If so then start calling subs and get quotes for concrete, framing, electrical, drywall etc. Not hard to do but time consuming and can be very overwhelming for a homeowner especially if you aren't a tradesman and don't understant the process or how to schedule the work or control the payments to the subs.

Don't be eager to take the lowest bid either. Make sure they have licenses and are bonded and they will lean your property, which is normal. Check with the Registra of Contractors to make sure their license is up to date and there are no outstanding judgements against them.

For every licensed contractor there are 20 gypsey contractors out there who will want 50% down "to buy materials" and you will never see them or your money again. People see a slab and a bunch of 2x4's and think, hey I can do that. Most can't, a few can.

Also talk to your homeowners insurance to see what they will want to see in order to insure it.

• Like 5

I don't know anything about pricing, but after watching my neighbors try to do this for the last year and a half I would never do it myself. Sometimes it takes them months to find someone to do the work. I think things are pretty crazy right now.. 

• Like 1

I finished a 1200 sqft detached garage a little over a year ago, interior is not drywalled, but full electrical and 14ft garage doors (Maricopa County).  I was right at $45/sqft.  I saved money by finding my own subs and doing most of the electrical myself.  Whole process plans/permit to finish was about 4 months

• Like 1

I built a 1200 sq ft RV garage in Queen Creek a little over a year ago. Also no drywall and hired the subs myself for right about $50 per sq ft. Had the basic electricity installed and inspected and have been adding more as needed myself. 16 ft walls and an 18 wide, 14 tall garage door. Project went fairly smooth but its just a basic building with no plumbing. Also got bids from a general and he was 25% to 30% higher. I had a hard time getting general contractors to even call me back. Seems they were just not interested in smaller jobs. Sent the drawings to a couple of them but couldn't reach them after. Subs were better to work with as most of them were in and out quickly.

• Like 1

I'm subbing out a detached casita right now and it's a pain finding people but getting through it. Hard to get more than 2 or 3 bids in any timely fashion so kind of have to gut check it and go to keep it moving. I ordered my lumber on Dec 31. The two lowest bids were having a price increase in Jan and the other is having one in Feb.  Good luck on the build! 

• Like 1

Hello,

my son works for a company called Buildzoom.com, they find out the project you want to do and call a few contractors and you can pick the one you like with the best estimate, if you want i give you his number and he can tell you how it works.

let me know.

1 hour ago, maximus said:

Hello,

my son works for a company called Buildzoom.com, they find out the project you want to do and call a few contractors and you can pick the one you like with the best estimate, if you want i give you his number and he can tell you how it works.

let me know.

Is that like Angie’s list?