Sign in to follow this  
maximus

7 East Draw Odds

i'm looking at draw odds for the next draw, i have 5 points and the late rifle hunt for unit 7 East is 99%, is that possible? most of the other units i looked at are around 30%.

I don't know how the late rifle hunt is but I had the early archery hunt one time.  Even though I killed it was one of the toughest hunts I have had. 

• Like 1

Population of elk has decreased due to the fires over the last 30 years. It's a cold cold windy booger when the late hunt storms roll through.

• Like 1

The draw odds are great for late hunts but the success numbers are low.There is the weather and all the pressure the animals have been put thru.Most are broke horns and in some thick ruff stuff .It's a hunt that requires more time and work. If you put in the time they can be a good opportunity to fill the freezer but don't expect a monster.

7 hours ago, maximus said:

why are the odds so good? not a good hunt?

7e is mediocre on a good year, both archery and rifle, and really tough on bad rut/ warm and dry late hunt years. If you have time to hunt the whole hunt plus a good deal of pre season scouting you can land yourself a decent bull. There are Elk all across the unit from waputki nat. Park to the north all the way to twin arrows to the east. With 5 points I would try for something like 5bN. You will have a much better experience. There are some good bulls taken on occasion in 7e though. Here is one that I chased for a couple years. Never could turn him up during hunting season.

20191109_070629.jpg

20191109_070525.jpg

big hank other side.JPG

• Like 4
  • Wow! 1

I’ve got this love-hate relationship with 7E. I absolutely love the unit. So many factors on a late hunt, but one of the easiest to draw. Might throw my hat in again this year, but wife is putting in for 5BS Early bull archery.

6 minutes ago, Jazz said:

I’ve got this love-hate relationship with 7E. I absolutely love the unit. So many factors on a late hunt, but one of the easiest to draw. Might throw my hat in again this year, but wife is putting in for 5BS Early bull archery.

i'm trying to decide if i want to hunt that late rifle with almost 100% draw odds or put in for early archery but lower draw odds and not going hunting, i'm getting old and they way things are shaping this days the chance of getting drawn are getting slim.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2022 at 8:41 AM, maximus said:

i'm trying to decide if i want to hunt that late rifle with almost 100% draw odds or put in for early archery but lower draw odds and not going hunting, i'm getting old and they way things are shaping this days the chance of getting drawn are getting slim.

I just talked to the boys- we're going in for 7E cow. (Even better odds). Do the bull!

On 1/8/2022 at 4:48 PM, nateNAU said:

7e is mediocre on a good year, both archery and rifle, and really tough on bad rut/ warm and dry late hunt years. If you have time to hunt the whole hunt plus a good deal of pre season scouting you can land yourself a decent bull. There are Elk all across the unit from waputki nat. Park to the north all the way to twin arrows to the east. With 5 points I would try for something like 5bN. You will have a much better experience. There are some good bulls taken on occasion in 7e though. Here is one that I chased for a couple years. Never could turn him up during hunting season.

20191109_070629.jpg

20191109_070525.jpg

big hank other side.JPG

Nate- I think I have a younger brother on cam from last year.

C78B338F-FD9F-4D04-AB88-55DE45D73666.jpeg