Sign in to follow this  
Mog

Bino question

Currently I am carrying 10x40 Zeiss classics attached to a big horn elastic harness and am feeling like I'm ready to re-tool. I find that I don't use my 10s very often unless I am actively moving on a critter, and am considering downsizing to Swarovski cl companion 8x30s. I would also like to put them in a marsupial or similar chest case.

Any advice or experience with the swaro 8x30s compared to Zeiss 10x40s? My goal is to downsize a little bit but not sacrifice optic quality. Also hoping to be able to shoot a bow with the marsupial harness on, is that possible?

So not apples to apples but I went from 10s to a set of 8x ultravids and have been thrilled. 

i use an AGC harness and am able to shoot my bow with it on 

Yes you can shoot a bow with the marsupial harness on. I upgraded from a badlands to the marsupial enclosed harness last year and it was a great decision. Their rangefinder pouch is great too. 

I hunt primarily with a Leica 10x42 bino and prefer it to others I have and have had. I also have the Sawarovski 8x30 and if I plan to be in timber and brush most of the day I carry it as it is very light and virtually unnoticeable in its harness. For more open country glassing the 10’s work better for me.

I switched to the Rick Young Outdoors suspension harnesses and bino covers on all my binoculars. They weigh nothing, keep optics snug to chest and don’t tempt you to start carrying a bunch of items in them, thus becoming just another pack to carry. It works for me but I am aware lots of hunters go for the bino pack setups because they do like carrying extra gear in them.

Befarfull with the marsupial bino harness , or any harness with a. Magnet closure 

smart phone gps and nav apps( google maps, onx ) compass will be affected 

1 hour ago, oz31p said:

Befarfull with the marsupial bino harness , or any harness with a. Magnet closure 

smart phone gps and nav apps( google maps, onx ) compass will be affected 

Dangit this messed me up, was pretty set on marsupial but this is a deal breaker, lots of people complaining about this online. Thanks for the warning!

Love my 8.5X42ELs for a chest pair and love the Marsupial. Didn't think about the magnet but phone in my pocket and GPS on the pack belt so I guess didn't think about it but great to know!  Great rangefinder pouch.  

• Like 1

Personally never found my 10x40s were ever in the way when archery hunting.  I appreciate the extra magnification, & unsurpassed clarity to the edge of the glass, especially in low light conditions.

Then again, I also have been known to carry my 15x60s around my neck, but supported by my backpack.  Of course all my optics have quick disconnects for my Manfrotto tripod.

I’ve been very happy with the marsupial harness and no problems shooting my bow while wearing it. Never heard of issues with the magnets, but it makes sense. I never have my phone or gps very close to the harness. 

I use 10s as my usual carry binos. A friend I hunted with a bit had switched to 8s and was very pleased with the weight difference plus increased steadiness in hand. He only ever used them on stalks or for a quick look and any still glassing he used 15s on a tripod.