Sign in to follow this  
CouesPursuit

Close Encounter - Lion/coues

I had only a bow in my hand 580 yards away.

I found the doe and buck bedded at 7:04 AM. They were in an extremely killable position but I just got done processing my last deer a few days ago and decided to stay put.

When they got out of bed at 7:50, I started scanning around them and saw the lion broadside just 50 yards upwind. Initially, it looked like it had no idea the deer were there, then they started feeding towards the lion and I started the swap to my spotting scope from my binoculars.

Once I started filming, I immediately focused on the deer for a while thinking I was going to get an attack on camera. The lion was within 25 yards or so on two occasions, but it was like he/she knew they weren't close enough and tried their patience. I swear it was like the deer knew it was there and just maintained their 30 yard barrier and fed away until ultimately flagging, blowing and weezing a hundred yards over and slowly away.

Eventually you can see the lion kept its pursuit but the coues deer had the upper hand this morning. Like so many encounters, if only the stalker saw the coues deer sooner. 

• Like 3
  • Wow! 1

Is there anyone with better video software than I that would be willing to download the videos and combine them in order? Or recommend a free/low cost video editing software that I could get started on? Thanks!

• Like 1

Impressive footage and impressive Lion too! 7.75 MOA from my 6.5 WSM and KABOOM! Save some coues!

13 minutes ago, Ernesto C said:

Impressive footage and impressive Lion too! 7.75 MOA from my 6.5 WSM and KABOOM! Save some coues!

I had a rifle with me for 30-35 consecutive days in the field in 2021 with 600 yard confidence, then this happens my first day out with only a bow in 2022. One can only laugh.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

So you're saying 580 yard shot with a bow is unethical? JK.

Great footage. Best way to see a lion is  to either not have your rifle, or not have a lion tag.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CouesPursuit said:

I had a rifle with me for 30-35 consecutive days in the field in 2021 with 600 yard confidence, then this happens my first day out with only a bow in 2022. One can only laugh.

Yes it happens!