dennis j mahony

bobcat,mountain lion and bear

Members, there is a proposal to eliminate the hunting of bobcats,mountain lions and bears to go in effect in 2023. We have until jan 30 to voice our concerns. you can respond on the azgfd web under " guidelines/ recommendations". We must make ourselves heard loud and clear.

• Like 1

edited after reading the proposed guidelines:

Dennis, i didn’t read anywhere in the proposed guidelines where AZGF is planning to cancel hunting of bears, lions or bobcats.  They are proposing updating seasons and harvest quotas … please clarify, maybe i missed it or I’m reading the wrong document …?

Here is the link to the main page where the guidelines link is as well as the email where you can give feedback:

https://www.azgfd.com/hunting/guidelines/

here is a direct link to the proposed guidelines that i read.  It has sections for each species so you can skip to the ones you care to read:

https://azgfd-portal-wordpress-pantheon.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/archive/AZ-Proposed-Hunt-Guidelines-2023-2028-Hunting-Seasons_12-28-2021_optimized.pdf

3 minutes ago, Calebwalter said:

Why is this in the classifieds?

Maybe because is the most visited/viewed/active section of the forum?

• Like 6

There is no proposal to eliminate them.  The Center for Biological Diversity and others have submitted comments to that effect, but that is not a proposal from the Department or the Commission.  Yes, everyone should submit comments in support of those hunts, but comments countering some made up proposal are not helpful.  Comments should be structured to state that you support the current management system.  Getting all hot and bothered over a made up ban proposal won't do anyone any good.

The current commission will never outright ban such hunting.   I believe that lion and bear hunting will be banned in our lifetimes, but it will come through the ballot box on a voter initiative.  It will start with outlawing spring bear, then the use of dogs, and then the hunts will go away all together.  That being said, the sky is not falling yet, so just keep the comments informed and to the point.

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, 1uglydude said:

There is no proposal to eliminate them.  The Center for Biological Diversity and others have submitted comments to that effect, but that is not a proposal from the Department or the Commission.  Yes, everyone should submit comments in support of those hunts, but comments countering some made up proposal are not helpful.  Comments should be structured to state that you support the current management system.  Getting all hot and bothered over a made up ban proposal won't do anyone any good.

The current commission will never outright ban such hunting.   I believe that lion and bear hunting will be banned in our lifetimes, but it will come through the ballot box on a voter initiative.  It will start with outlawing spring bear, then the use of dogs, and then the hunts will go away all together.  That being said, the sky is not falling yet, so just keep the comments informed and to the point.

^^^^^ This!

Current management practices, i.e. female harvest objectives, mandatory reporting, etc. is sound management.  AZ will have bears, lions and bobcats as long as there is available habitat.

5 hours ago, 1uglydude said:

Ask a California Hunter if they thought the same thing...

• Like 4

17 hours ago, joohnnybgood said:

Ask a California Hunter if they thought the same thing...

Did you even bother to read the details of what I wrote?  I said our "current" Commission.  When is the last time California had a Commission with the makeup of what Arizona "currently" has?  Also, California lost predator opportunity at the ballot box, and I specifically said that I see that happening here in our lifetime.  So, what's your point?

20 hours ago, 1uglydude said:

Did you even bother to read the details of what I wrote?  I said our "current" Commission.  When is the last time California had a Commission with the makeup of what Arizona "currently" has?  Also, California lost predator opportunity at the ballot box, and I specifically said that I see that happening here in our lifetime.  So, what's your point?

Yeah.  I read what you said. Your statement "will never outright ban such hunting" sticks I'm my head. Plenty of Californian Hunters thought the same thing. Our "Current" way of doing things here is changing with every Brandon supporter that moves here. That's my point. Carry on.

• Like 2