Sign in to follow this  
tyler1215

AR question

Hey guys I've seen posts on here debating using ARs on the ham hunt. Straight forward question, is it legal? Thanks in advance for the responses

• Like 1

Check the ATFs definition of pistol. If yours meet those you are good. Some ARs do, most don't. I am sure someone will correct me if wrong, but I believe it is largely about barrel length and the use of a brace rather than a stock.

• Like 1

AR has to be initially transferred as pistol. You cannot legally make what was a rifle into a pistol just by swapping parts.

4 minutes ago, Sobrbiker said:

AR has to be initially transferred as pistol. You cannot legally make what was a rifle into a pistol just by swapping parts.

How do you get a copy of your 4473?  Carry it with you for the G&F warden?

Just now, WhtMtnHunter said:

How do you get a copy of your 4473?  Carry it with you for the G&F warden?

Granted, you can get away with a lot but personally I prefer to be legal from the get go. I spent too many years putting distance between being a shitty person and who I am today. 

• Like 5

42 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

"Within the spirit of the law" is the dumbest argument ever.

It's legal or it isn't. 

Well there was a time when such a thing just went unsaid. now people have no shame in this world and aren’t embarrassed to be using a rifle on a handgun hunt, a crossgun on an archery hunt, to be a tranny, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've got my opinions on ethics, spirits and laws but whatever weapon someone chooses, I hope people consider that sneaking into the herd is part of a javelina hunt. Getting to 5, 15 or least under 30 yards for every kill shot is  beyond doable. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jdown said:

Just use a revolver like ham was intended for.. That solves it all.  ha. 

I killed my first Javelina about 35 years ago with a 14" Contender.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Well there was a time when such a thing just went unsaid. now people have no shame in this world and aren’t embarrassed to be using a rifle on a handgun hunt, a crossgun on an archery hunt, to be a tranny, etc. 

How is it different than road hunting and shooting cow elk from the road, like you suggested the other day?

Bring upset by another sportsmans legal method of take is the dumbest thing ever. 

one is a productive hunting style. And one is using a rifle on a handgun hunt. I wouldn’t say I’m upset, I do find the mental gymnastics hunters go through to justify an ar as a handgun is pretty hilarious though.