Whip

Arizona Unit Information

I am newly registered here and hate to be the new guy that walks in the door and asks where should I apply.  But here I am and here goes....

I asked this question on Rokslide where I'm well established and it was suggested that I ask here as well.  I go by Whip on most forums, or Joe Lasch on others.  So maybe some of you know me from there.  

I've been building Arizona points for a number of years and am finally at the point I think I may be able to cash them in. My long term target unit seems to be slipping out of reach.  At age 67 it's time to get this one behind me so I'm looking at applying for a unit that I think I have a decent chance of actually drawing at my point level.  I've done all the online research I can think of, listened to podcasts, contacted people I know, etc etc and think I have narrowed down a few options.  My only hesitation is that for a couple of them I don't know anyone personally that has hunted them or has boots on the ground knowledge that they could share. 

I tried contacting AZ Game & Fish to talk to a biologist asked was told bluntly that that weren't taking calls and everything I needed to know was on the website.  No help at all there.  What I really would like to know more about are things like hunting pressure, competition and interference.  Are the elk vocal, responsive to calling, or quiet and call shy?  Is the terrain conducive to glassing?  Is the cover thick enough to allow a guy to get close? (I hunt with a recurve).  That kind of stuff.  And yeah, maybe a little of what to hope for as far as numbers and quality of elk, although that's a less important factor to me.  I think any of the units I'm looking at hold what to me would be a good bull.

If anyone is willing to bounce some thoughts around on mid tier AZ elk units that you've got personal knowledge of I'd be all ears.  Point creep being what it is I'm hesitant to list the actual units I'm thinking of on a public forum but certainly would in a private conversation.  I would obviously also be very discreet with any information I might receive.

Thanks!

I just read your post on Rokslide literally 5 min ago… How many points do you have?  I can help by letting you know draw odds of a particular unit.  Welcome to CWT. 

I am a average hunter, but there are a bunch of folks here who can help. I know a few units pretty well and have filled some tags but nothing like some of the hunters on here…. I’m sure you will find good info on here.

If you type the unit like this thirty sixA, instead of 36A, it is much more difficult to google search and you will atleast narrow down the guys that might have some knowledge on your desired unit.

• Like 1

I have 15 going in to this year.  I am pretty familiar with the odds and have been tracking a number of units for quite awhile. I've seen what point creep has done lately so have built that in to my hopes and expectations.  It's not pretty, and at my age I can't afford to wait forever.  But thanks!

2 minutes ago, Whip said:

I have 15 going in to this year.  I am pretty familiar with the odds and have been tracking a number of units for quite awhile. I've seen what point creep has done lately so have built that in to my hopes and expectations.  It's not pretty, and at my age I can't afford to wait forever.  But thanks!

Rifle or Bow?

8 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

If you type the unit like this thirty sixA, instead of 36A, it is much more difficult to google search and you will atleast narrow down the guys that might have some knowledge on your desired unit.

That's a great suggestion, thanks.  Anybody have knowledge of five Boy Sam?😉

Private message replies are appreciated!

• Like 1

Great way to keep it on the Down low.  Too many guys just throw units and places around on the internet, not thinking of the repercussions.  I wish I knew more about that unit.  Good luck on your search.  Depending on your amount of points, it is known as a good mid - tier unit.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Whip said:

I tried contacting AZ Game & Fish to talk to a biologist asked was told bluntly that that weren't taking calls and everything I needed to knows was on the website.

Let me guess, the Flagstaff office?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhtMtnHunter said:

Let me guess, the Flagstaff office?

Yes.  Pretty frustrating after donating literally thousands of dollars to build up enough points to MAYBE have a chance at drawing a tag once in my lifetime.  But whatever.  They have better things to do I guess,

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I like the cut of this guys jib. 

I had to look that one up.  But thank you very much.  

The welcome I've had here with my very first post is incredible.  I appreciate everyone who took the time to read and respond.  I will certainly try to reciprocate when I can.

Send me a PM and i’d be happy to help with supplying what information i know. I’ve been on a LOT of elk hunts in our state