Whip

Arizona Unit Information

Give me a shout.  I would be happy to share what I know as well.

I too share your frustration with the point creep. 

So did you move to Arizona or still live in Wisconsin? If you’re here go looking at your units, elk here don’t move very far. The draw is in just a couple weeks so there’s that-

Are you interested in early hunts, with 16 points they may be a hard draw. Late hunts are also a blast but very little bugling. Your points could put you in line for a November hunt. Good luck

1 hour ago, tontotom said:

So did you move to Arizona or still live in Wisconsin? If you’re here go looking at your units, elk here don’t move very far. The draw is in just a couple weeks so there’s that-

Are you interested in early hunts, with 16 points they may be a hard draw. Late hunts are also a blast but very little bugling. Your points could put you in line for a November hunt. Good luck

I still live in Wisconsin but we are down here for a few months escaping winter with our travel trailer.  Next week I'll be up north of Phoenix and hope to take a day or two to drive up for a look around.  Not really scouting per se, just seeing what the areas look like.  I am only looking at the early archery hunts.  I'm not gaining any ground on the primo units so hoping to find one with good elk numbers and a decent chance at a 300 class bull.  Bigger is great, but not required to have a fun hunt for me.

You should consider talking with Shadow Valley Outfitters or becoming quick friends with some locals. They can get you away from the hunting pressure in easier to draw units. Finding the bigger bulls is a gamble right now without knowledge of the area. The drought and predators have taken a heavy toll on the herds so plan to hunt hard. Buy a cat tag for sure. Due to the camera ban some bulls will be missed so that could work to your advantage big time. Last couple years have been bad for guys so there will be hold over bulls for sure. 

On 1/10/2022 at 7:37 PM, Whip said:

Yes.  Pretty frustrating after donating literally thousands of dollars to build up enough points to MAYBE have a chance at drawing a tag once in my lifetime.  But whatever.  They have better things to do I guess,

They are out looking for trail cameras to steal and sell on Ebay.

• Haha 1

Welcome to the site. I think your approach worked well for the responses…you didn’t just show up asking for spots, etc…sounds like you’re getting some good info  

I don’t know that unit myself but have heard good things and have applied for it without drawing. Good luck!

• Like 1

My application is in.  Thank you so much to everyone that took the time to reply both here and the numerous PMs I received.   It really helped to solidify my thoughts and now I just sit back and wait, fingers crossed that the vicious point creep doesn't bite me in the butt....

• Like 4