Cazadoroldmx

Tick no big deal?

Hello

So I have heard of folks claiming their deer hides being taken by border patrol for having a single dead tick. But last Sunday  my group crossed in douglas and the BP agent didn't even bother to check for ticks. They didn't even ask us to show the hides. They just check our guns and took the other paperwork.

Is this new, cause friend that crossed in nogales said they took his hide cause it was frozen. Guessing Sunday at Douglas are the best days to cross now?

Did you have a rifle to check out.  I didn't know you could cross on Sunday?  They checked my group for ticks the 3 times I crossed there

They have always checked our hides. THey need to be semi frozen and pliable or have your outfitter keep them and get all the ticks off and thensend them to you. If the agent didn't check for ticks then he/she wasn't doing their job. Sounds sketchy.

The rules or regulations are very clear. The people that always get into problems is the people that venture themselves into something they don't know and I'm talking about those that venture without a reputable outfitter. Your Outfitter should have give you the rules and/or the do's and don'ts.

Border Patrol do not check for ticks, those are the U. S D. A. inspectors. U. S. D. A do not check your guns, are the U. S. Customs etc etc.

If the authorities skip a step on their inspection process you have no control over that, but for what you do have control over it you better have it right!

About the ticks and the frozen hides ..is clearly to me they didn't know the rules. Did you/they had an outfitter? Or you are the outfitter trying to learn how to get it right?

• Like 1

Ernesto is right. The USDA are the ones that check the capes. Did you fill out a USDA declarations form and tell them that you had horns/hides that you needed to declare?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PRDATR said:

They have always checked our hides. THey need to be semi frozen and pliable or have your outfitter keep them and get all the ticks off and thensend them to you. If the agent didn't check for ticks then he/she wasn't doing their job. Sounds sketchy.

How is not checking for ticks "sketchy”? Who gives a dam? Does a fence keep tick species from crossing?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Ernesto C said:

The rules or regulations are very clear. The people that always get into problems is the people that venture themselves into something they don't know and I'm talking about those that venture without a reputable outfitter. Your Outfitter should have give you the rules and/or the do's and don'ts.

Border Patrol do not check for ticks, those are the U. S D. A. inspectors. U. S. D. A do not check your guns, are the U. S. Customs etc etc.

If the authorities skip a step on their inspection process you have no control over that, but for what you do have control over it you better have it right!

About the ticks and the frozen hides ..is clearly to me they didn't know the rules. Did you/they had an outfitter? Or you are the outfitter trying to learn how to get it right?

The USDA  inspector do not work at the Douglas Port it seems on Sundays anymore. All the people checking where the armed agents. Again they didn't even bother to look at my hide.

29 minutes ago, Cazadoroldmx said:

The USDA  inspector do not work at the Douglas Port it seems on Sundays anymore. All the people checking where the armed agents. Again they didn't even bother to look at my hide.

I dare you to count on that and try it again. :) 

I had a similar thing happen in Canada. I have been to old mexico many times and so I knew the rules and paperwork I needed to have in order. When I was bringing my son's bear back from Canada I told them I needed to declare a bear hide and skull and the lady looked at me like I was crazy and then just let me through, I didn't have to show anything. That doesn't happen often. 

I think their to busy checking all the illegals for ticks…

A week ago today I was coming across at sasabee and DFW found a tick on my cape and made my brother walk it back into Mexico remove the dead frozen tick and then it was ok.

• Haha 1

yesterday our group lost one hide- 

the tick was alive-such a bummer - this hide was frozen the longest (3 days) - 3 people searched the hide- once the agent pulled out a flashlight and began looking through it, I knew we were screwed - it was very small - not sure if it happened to get on the hide when we laid out the hide to check it? 

the agent that checked my hide found one dead tick - two agents spent about a few minutes searching, luckily and all was good. 

56 minutes ago, Redman said:

yesterday our group lost one hide- 

the tick was alive-such a bummer - this hide was frozen the longest (3 days) - 3 people searched the hide- once the agent pulled out a flashlight and began looking through it, I knew we were screwed - it was very small - not sure if it happened to get on the hide when we laid out the hide to check it? 

the agent that checked my hide found one dead tick - two agents spent about a few minutes searching, luckily and all was good. 

How you guys did? Where you hunting lower desert? Where they in the rut? TIA.

1 hour ago, Ernesto C said:

How you guys did? Where you hunting lower desert? Where they in the rut? TIA.

Hey Ernesto- the hunt was organized with Sonora Outdoors - some friends went last year and this year and I got in on the action this year and was glad I did!

We had a great time and it was awesome. 

5 of 7 tags filled- we had access to 3 ranches close to Nacoazri - one was desert, the next was desert and scrub- the last was oak - there was some rutting action but it wasn't heavy- some bucks were chasing does like crazy and others could care less, it should fire up this week or next. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 1/15/2022 at 8:15 AM, Oakley said:

A week ago today I was coming across at sasabee and DFW found a tick on my cape and made my brother walk it back into Mexico remove the dead frozen tick and then it was ok.

DFW?