Sign in to follow this  
218buck

Tessa's Navajo bull

Tessa had a tag for the Navajo reservation we had gone up on January 2nd to hunt it was brutally cold single digit temps  and we did not know it but we both were in the early stages of covid. The first day found us looking at roughly 40-50 different bulls. The wind was blowing in the wrong direction for us to do much without spooking all the elk. The second morning we found a herd of bulls with several of them looking to be 390 plus. We had a target bull that was some  where in the 380 range we probably could of had a good chance of killing him but elected to go after the bigger bulls. Well as luck or bad luck would have it this herd crossed into the park once in here you can not hunt them and amazingly they seem to know it. We waited all day for them to come back out but they did not. With us both feeling sick we decided to return home. On the reservation you have to have a guide the guide we was using had another hunter coming in anyway . We returned for the following Thursday morning things had changed dramatically, we saw about 10 bulls in the same areas we had seen as many as 50. After finding this bull about two miles away up a canyon with 3 other bulls . We put a plan together after a 1.5 hour hike we were in position for Tessa to be able to harvest this elk. He was just shy of 360 his teeth were wore down to the gums he had to be very old doubtful he would survive another winter. I do not know how many more hunts i have with her because she has a boy friend now i will cherish them all. She has an oryx hunt on the White Sands Missile Range next month. I hope she gets one i here the meat is excellent.IMG_6017.thumb.jpg.bca4461bf7d75860ef5ca20a8344a3ad.jpg  

IMG_5992 (2).jpg

IMG_5999.jpg

• Like 33
  • Wow! 4

As the father of a daughter who hunts as well, I think you’re gonna be hunting with your “little girl” for many more years! Mine is now married, and she made me bring the boy friend on our deer hunts when they started dating.   Now we all hunt together.  But you’re right, the memories of hunts with your kid will stay with you for a lifetime, just keep making more!   Great bull, btw!

• Like 4

That is so awesome you were able to enjoy a hunt with your daughter! And I’m glad you were able to get it done despite the Covid diagnosis. Way to go! The teeth on that bull are gnarly, definitely super worn down. But the fourths on him are huge! Congrats on a successful hunt and tagging a beautiful bull

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmer Negamanee said:

Well done!  Congratulations on a great hunt and wonderful dad/daughter time. 

P.S. Please post the story of her oryx hunt.  An oryx hunt on my bucket list.

Will do thanks

I appreciate everything you have done with documenting and sharing your hunts with Tessa on here.

It's been fantastic seeing her grow into the young lady she is and we all see how proud you are.

Congratulations on your success.  All of it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chef said:

I appreciate everything you have done with documenting and sharing your hunts with Tessa on here.

It's been fantastic seeing her grow into the young lady she is and we all see how proud you are.

Congratulations on your success.  All of it.

Thank you very much

What a special hunt!  That's one you'll both cherish forever. Congratulations!

• Like 1