clintb

Best unit for 2022 with 23 points resident

8 hours ago, Newbie2012 said:

Wait till you see the one just approved on the Babbit Ranch north of Flag. Will be the largest in the state. 

Are they noisy? I could use the help stalking 

15 hours ago, clintb said:

Thanks for all the input. I'm in decent shape, walk 4-5 miles everyday, and hike when I can. I'm not in the shape I was in when I started putting in for an early rifle tag, but I'll be ready for the hunt when I draw. Being that I will never put in for a early rifle tag once I draw, I will more than likely hire a guide.  

If you’re gonna hire a guide I’d put in for 23n 1st and 23s 2nd.  Or vice versa.  They added some tags in there so you might pick off either one in the max pass.  Then hire the Ground Pounders and go shoot a giant bull.  

23. I let bulls walk in that unit just because of where they were. Packed one solo out of a canyon with thigh high snow drifts. Swore I would never hunt elk again. 

Better get in shape and eat your Wheaties. 

• Like 1

You were in the bonus pass for unit 1 last year you were just not lucky enough to beat out the couple other guys.  

which means you should be guaranteed for the muzzy tag this year and definitely the rifle tag in 2023.  “Should” because you never know what could happen.  

if unit 1 is the tag you have waited 23 years for what’s wrong with waiting out one more draw?   Those saying unit 23 are not wrong. Great bulls but that is not the hunt you have been dreaming of. 

• Love 1

On 1/19/2022 at 2:30 PM, clintb said:

Thanks for all the input. I'm in decent shape, walk 4-5 miles everyday, and hike when I can. I'm not in the shape I was in when I started putting in for an early rifle tag, but I'll be ready for the hunt when I draw. Being that I will never put in for a early rifle tag once I draw, I will more than likely hire a guide.  

If hiring a guide is what you’re thinking, I’d find one you wanna hunt with first and then apply based on their recommendations.  Get on their list for when ya draw so it’s a simple phone call instead of scrambling looking for reputable guide.  Also, get references for the actual guide you’re going to hunt with, not just the outfit.  Biggest mistake I see people make.  

good luck!!  

On 1/20/2022 at 6:13 AM, trphyhntr said:

Where were you guys with your unit advice when Lance held out for like 20+ years for a unit 7w early bull rifle tag or whatever it was 

7E.  Not a lot of people I would recommend burn 20 years worth of points there, but Lance always seems to get it done.

Thanks for all the input. I applied 23n 1st choice and 23s 2nd. Good luck to everyone in the draw!

you should always put the harder to draw tag as the first choice.

You have taken yourself out of the running for the 23S tag by putting it as 2nd choice.

On 2/3/2022 at 3:57 PM, JSR said:

You have taken yourself out of the running for the 23S tag by putting it as 2nd choice.

1482385016-36d15w.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/3/2022 at 4:57 PM, JSR said:

He’ll draw whichever allows it in the bonus pass.  

• Like 1

He will never get a chance at south because north takes less points and they will look at the first choice on the app before the second. Regardless if it is in the pass or the random portion of the draw 

If hunt A takes 15 points and hunt B takes 8 and you put B as your first choice you never have a chance at A.

2 hours ago, JSR said:

He will never get a chance at south because north takes less points and they will look at the first choice on the app before the second. Regardless if it is in the pass or the random portion of the draw 

If hunt A takes 15 points and hunt B takes 8 and you put B as your first choice you never have a chance at A.

Something similar happened to me in the bonus round. I didn't understand at the time how it happened.  I put early archery 9 first, 10 second. I had enough points to draw 10 in the bonus round but not 9. I drew 10.

Gotta be careful

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JSR said:

What you said is spot on for the BP pass. But the random draw takes the single, lowest random number you were assigned of those from each BP. If there are tags left for your 1st choice when your number is pulled, you will draw 1st choice, then it checks for your 2nd.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CouesPursuit said:

What you said is spot on for the BP pass. But the random draw takes the single, lowest random number you were assigned of those from each BP. If there are tags left for your 1st choice when your number is pulled, you will draw 1st choice, then it checks for your 2nd.

Ohhh