Sign in to follow this  
slamdmini

arizona elk??

i asked this question on a few other forums and a number of guys pointed me over here, and im glad they did cuz i didnt kno this place existed.  first off ill introduce myself.  im 37, born and raised in so cal (unfortunately, although it didnt used to suck like it does now).  i like hunting, fishing, motocross, hot rods, basically anything that costs way too much money.  now on to my question.  ive got 10 points for az elk, and im debating whether to use them now or wait.  i obviously cant draw a glory tag but i can draw quite a few late season hunts.  this would be my first elk hunt.  im not looking to shoot a giant (but im not opposed to it either lol), im mainly looking for opportunity.  if i dont draw this year i can maybe scout this year during the season.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

jesse

4b. Kill two birds with one stone. Draw with low points and kill a 400" bull

• Thanks 1

Which weapon?  
 Looks like you could only draw 7e or 11m for September archery.  You could get any November archery tag.  Late rifle you can get pretty much any of the units except the alternative management units (1, 3a/c, 23, 27, 9, 10).  Muzzy, most of the late but none of the early.  If you can’t pass a raghorn type bull they are availabale in any unit so just pick one with a weapon you know you can get it done on and go hunting.  I personally would go to CO and hunt a OTC area and knock a small bull off my bucket list and save my AZ points did a unit and hunt that can produce a big bull more consistently.  

• Like 2

rifle or archery.  i mainly archery hunt, but for a first elk hunt, rifle would probably be easier.  whats the difference between 4b and 4b north? is 4b north just antlerless?

If you’re set on rifle and with 10 points, the late hunts are your only hope. You have a few options with September archery. 

Take the 4B suggestions with a grain of salt. It’s a running joke here on CWT for many years. 

I’d take Dave up on his offer and give him a call. Good luck!

6 hours ago, slamdmini said:

i asked this question on a few other forums and a number of guys pointed me over here, and im glad they did cuz i didnt kno this place existed.  first off ill introduce myself.  im 37, born and raised in so cal (unfortunately, although it didnt used to suck like it does now).  i like hunting, fishing, motocross, hot rods, basically anything that costs way too much money.  now on to my question.  ive got 10 points for az elk, and im debating whether to use them now or wait.  i obviously cant draw a glory tag but i can draw quite a few late season hunts.  this would be my first elk hunt.  im not looking to shoot a giant (but im not opposed to it either lol), im mainly looking for opportunity.  if i dont draw this year i can maybe scout this year during the season.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

jesse

Please do NOT scout during active hunts. This is a good way to ruin a hunt for someone else. July is a perfect time to see elk. Sorry to break it to you but 10 points doesn't give you many options anymore despite the fairy tales told by celebrity hunters.

Pick up a muzzleloader there reasonable when it comes to price and hunt 5b ,6a,or just about any unit .your chance of getting a tag is good and there is usually good opportunity for a fill the freezer animal .we have seen some nice bulls and taken a few 6x6 .just remember the weather can suck .it will probably be cold and there could be snow.

7 hours ago, Newbie2012 said:

If you’re set on rifle and with 10 points, the late hunts are your only hope. You have a few options with September archery. 

Take the 4B suggestions with a grain of salt. It’s a running joke here on CWT for many years. 

I’d take Dave up on his offer and give him a call. Good luck!

Joke?