PJM

Just got my first tag ever!

Guys,

I'm a new member and new to the sport. My tag is for unite 35a. I went out this weekend with my hunting partner and scouted Parker Canyon north of the lake. We saw tons of tracks and droppings near the creek that runs into the lake. We also glassed for several hours and no deer!

Is anyone familiar with Unite 35a and willing to give a newbie some advice?

Thanks,

PJM

Congrats and welcome , If your seeing lots of sign then thats a good thing , my advice is keep looking they dont call them :ph34r: "grey ghosts" :ph34r: for nothing . Good Luck .

Welcome to the site and definitely welcome to the sport! That's great that you are getting out there and scouting, that's the #1 best thing you can do! One thing I've learned about that unit and especially the area you mentioned is have patience! There are deer there but it can take patience and determination to find them usually. Lots of options down there, find a good vantage point and glass hard at first and last light and even mid-day between 10:00 and 2:00! You won't have to stray very far from where you've already been to find good areas and good bucks, best of luck! JIM>

youre in a good area, but it will be overrun with road warriors when the hunt starts, i was down there saturday and glassed as the sun came up and saw a lot of deer and they didnt bed down till 1030ish so theyre out, just glass slow.

Guy's,

Thank You for the quick replies. Yes I'm also worried that the area will be over run with hunters. Is there another place I should be checking out?

What about Bishop Tank and Hear Tank on the West side of parker canyon??

Thanks,

PJM

Hey these guys are giving some good advice the only thing I can add is that glassing is a skill that takes time to develop. Before you know it no sooner then you put the glasses in front of your face there is going to be something there. Take the time and glass slow and in a pattern so you don't misss something. Pay attention to trees they dissappear pretty easy in there sometimes. Deer can blend in way better than you think just don't give up on an area after a few minutes glassing when your still new to it. You will learn what to watch for.

Biggest buck I have ever seen was in that unit, near the lake Mearns hunting.. He was a solid 115" buck! I think if you hike the draws, and glass each one as you come over you should have some success.

Welcome to the site and I wish I had some info for ya but I'm not familar with the unit. Good luck on your hunt and listen to what these guys have to say. :)

TJ

As most have all ready said, proper glassing takes time, patience and experience(sp). Not sure what your glassing setup is but you should have what ever glass you own on a tripod. Try glassing in a grid pattern. I like going top to bottom then over and back up. But, before I start the grid pattern I'll take a quick scan of the most likely spots. Saddles, ridge lines and draws. Then I slow it way down and start the grid. One more thing. Start saving now for a pair of 15 x 56 Swarovskis. NO SINGLE ITEM WILL FIND YOU MORE DEER THAN THESE BINOS WHEN PROPERLY USED. PERIOD.

Good luck on your hunt!

Guy's,

I can't say how awsone you've been giving me good advice. The current BINO's I have is a set to Nikon's I don't know the specs. My hunting partner has a set of the Vortex 15X. I used them last weekend.. and WOW they're nice. Yes I'd like a set of 15 x 56 Swarovskis but the Mrs. does not see that one in the budget.

I'm trying to make it down South one more time before opening day. Hope to see alot more then Havalina traks and/or signs of UDA.

Guys,

I'm a new member and new to the sport. My tag is for unite 35a. I went out this weekend with my hunting partner and scouted Parker Canyon north of the lake. We saw tons of tracks and droppings near the creek that runs into the lake. We also glassed for several hours and no deer!

Is anyone familiar with Unite 35a and willing to give a newbie some advice?

Thanks,

PJM

you just have to keep glassing. dont try to follow their tracks of pull any of that just sit and glass. they are tough to find but go over the same area 3,4, however many times. you could miss him ten times and the eleventh see an ear flick and find you a buck. and go in the rough places where there aren't a lot of other hunters. there may be less deer in some of those spots but you'll have less people to compete with and better chances