corkin it

Javelina chorizo

Good morning everyone, I was lucky and scored at the end of the season in January and I was thinking of making some Javelina chorizo I’ve made Javelina breakfast sausage before but was wondering if anybody had a good recipe that I could use. Or any helpful advice would be really appreciated. Also, do you add pork fat to your Javelina meat?  Thanks for your Help , Jake

p.s. Trying to load a pic from new phone with no luck. I’ll try on my computer 

Look up Javelina chorizo on you tube. Robert orozco has a great recipe. He is from AZ. We tried it this year and it was awesome. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Beaton said:

Look up Javelina chorizo on you tube. Robert orozco has a great recipe. He is from AZ. We tried it this year and it was awesome. 

Great video!  I’ll try it this weekend. I am probably going to add some pork fat. Thank you!

I used the LEM chorizo mix with  elk, its ok... but  not outstanding.  I just ordered a pack of the Leggs,  God  forbid I kill a pig this weekend.  Looking forward to trying it.

I have use the mix from The Sausage Maker for chorizo, breakfast sausage and 3 or 4 different summer sausage and have been super happy with all. And as mentioned with chorizo and b-fast sausage I use a port but at 20% and for summer sausage I use bacon ends and pieces (walmart 3lb package) at 10-15%.

The key is Santa Cruz chill powder!

30/70 works great too

I use 20 percent pork butt with the Leggs seasoning. Come outs great. I tried Hank Shaw's chorizo recipe and it came out alright. Maybe I jacked it up but either way the Leggs chorizo seasoning is easy and good. 

Try bacon ends with pork. I like chorizo smokier and that does it. I’ve tried from scratch recipes but we use the AC legg mix with 15% bacon, 15% pork butt. 

separate some of the chorizo out, add the correct amount of curing salt, stuff into casings and smoke it low and slow over mesquite.

Yeah BOI!!!!

• Like 1