Sign in to follow this  
AZBIG10

Unit 22 bull elk tags 1,300 some perspective

I took a snapshot from google earth and outlined the unit. I transposed 200 red dots to account for 200 bull elk tags. Multiply the 200 hundred tags 6.5 (think creedmoor) times and this will account for the issued tags from the department. For bull elk only. 

now I am an avid hunter and enjoy the out doors as much as the next guy. But man this can’t be any good for long term or the natl forests.

E85D4E1B-01E8-4DD1-8510-0A4D9AB9756D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It's an opportunity hunt.  I spent a ton of time in that unit last year because we had an early rifle tag.  The amount of bulls we glassed was pretty impressive.  Having said that, we had a difficult time finding bigger bulls.  Glassing 20+ bulls a day was the norm tho. Lot's of bulls, lots of thick, rugged areas they can hide in.  

• Like 1

Now move 99% of those dots out of the wilderness areas and put them on the forest roads. Likewise with 98% of dots any farther than a mile or two from those roads and put those dots along said roads.

Now you'll have a pretty accurate road map of 22.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AZBIG10 said:

I took a snapshot from google earth and outlined the unit. I transposed 200 red dots to account for 200 bull elk tags. Multiply the 200 hundred tags 6.5 (think creedmoor) times and this will account for the issued tags from the department. For bull elk only. 

now I am an avid hunter and enjoy the out doors as much as the next guy. But man this can’t be any good for long term or the natl forests.

That's $192,000 for azgfd ( with app fees) and only about 300 elk killed. Think they're giving that up anytime soon?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AZBIG10 said:

Wait..............G$F is concerned about our national forest :) 

It's a opportunity for bullets launched over your head at raghorn herd bulls hunt.. but that is what everyone voted that doesn't live here. It's not about money or what hunters want. It's called management 

This unit could grow giants. I understand the need for opportunity and as not everyone is chasing age class but it makes me wonder what it could be. 

Yup, we need opportunity units.  The terrain in 22n is a great place for opportunity imo.  Lots of hiding spots with how thick it can be.  I think the majority of guys on hunting forums, like trophy hunts vs. Opportunity, but the majority of hunters don't  go on hunting forums.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, HuntHarder said:

Yup, we need opportunity units.  The terrain in 22n is a great place for opportunity imo.  Lots of hiding spots with how thick it can be.  I think the majority of guys on hunting forums, like trophy hunts vs. Opportunity, but the majority of hunters don't  go on hunting forums.

Agreed that the majority of hunters want opportunity over trophy class. The good thing about that is it can be pretty easy to get away from most hunters. The majority never venture very far from their side by sides or quads. 

Maybe raise the price of elk tags and have a cool down after a hunter draws.  1 yr

Same money generated greater odds for bp holders and less folks in the hills during the hunt.

What does raising the price of tags do?  They are already too much imo.  Shouldn't have to spend shoot loads of money to hunt your own state. 

• Like 2