trphyhntr

Any electricians on here?

I want to fix this myself but I didn’t have any luck.

I turned on my microwave and it started flashing, so did the lights above it then they went out. since then everything in my kitchen and dining room is dead. I checked the breakers nothing, The gfci light wasn’t on and it wouldn’t reset. replaced the gfci. The gfci is solid red, won’t reset. when I hit the light switches next to the gfci the light on the gfci goes out entirely. When I plug the microwave in, the gfci light goes out entirely. Does any of this sound familiar 

How old is the house?  Does is have afci breakers?  The microwave usually is a dedicated circuit, but recheck the wiring on the gfi 

Our neighborhood just had an influx of roof rats because of all the citrus trees and ripe fruit

They have been doing a lot of damage to house wiring.

Just a thought. 

50 minutes ago, idgaf said:

How old is the house?  Does is have afci breakers?  The microwave usually is a dedicated circuit, but recheck the wiring on the gfi 

Really old. I googled afci breaker and yeah that’s what I got. Will do 

4 minutes ago, JSR said:

Our neighborhood just had an influx of roof rats because of all the citrus trees and ripe fruit

They have been doing a lot of damage to house wiring.

Just a thought. 

interesting 

1 minute ago, Beaton said:

Did you unplug the microwave and see if everything will reset? 

Yeah I unplugged it. And I replaced the outlet it was plugged into. 

I would check each and every outlet that doesn’t have power for a loose connection.  Even the breakers at the panel.  Chances are you have/had a loose connection (high resistance) that finally gave out.  You could also check the voltage at the panel with the breaker in the on position to see if the breaker is closed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

I did, twice. But maybe it’s still messed up 

Did you wire the gfci correctly. Making sure line and load are not swapped?

Do you have anything else plugged on that circuit that could be tripping the GFCI? You could unhook the load side of the GFCI and see what side of the outlet your problem is on.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

Did you wire the gfci correctly. Making sure line and load are not swapped?

I thought so. I mean, I just took out the one and put the other in the same way. The wires were line up pretty easy. 

13 minutes ago, SHOOTER said:

Do you have anything else plugged on that circuit that could be tripping the GFCI? You could unhook the load side of the GFCI and see what side of the outlet your problem is on.

I don’t think anything else is plugged in. Does it mean anything that when I hit the light switch next to the gfci, the red light on the gfci goes off