Sign in to follow this  
thegunsmith2506

Tire Question

NODAK 2019: The eve of the pheasant opener. My buddy rented a "nice little huntin' rig". Went out to do a pre-hunt rooster survey and he came across a drift. 

My buddy driving and his bestie riding shotgun, me and my brother in the back seat advising that with enough speed he could likely traverse the drift (we aren't dummies, there are no front side airbags to deploy in the back seat). To his credit, he did pause to assess the situation but with a couple of barley pops onboard, he finally succumbed to the pressure of the insults spewing from the back seat questioning his masculinity.

In this case, tire selection was immaterial. 

Not pictured was the walk of shame to fetch the JD loader to remove the rental from its icy tomb.

Nodak1 (2).JPG

• Haha 4

I have been running Cooper Tires for the past 12 years or so.  For a really nice and aggressive AT, look at the Cooper ST MAXX, I just put on a set of Cooper STT PRO (mud tire), not the best in wet. Cooper just came out with a really good tire called Evolution MT.  My next set of tires will be the Cooper Evolution MTs.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, 5guyshunting said:

I'm done with BFG mud or AT they suck for wear.

My experience has been the opposite, in that I’ve always gotten max wear on mine. (Though the mud terrains HATED the desert…).   Suppose it might depend on type/weight of vehicle.  

Just put these on my Tacoma last week.  Hoping to get >50K, but time will tell.  

98878BE8-E24D-499D-80C9-7F43E5D35D3F.jpeg

14 hours ago, n2horns said:

I have been running Cooper Tires for the past 12 years or so.  For a really nice and aggressive AT, look at the Cooper ST MAXX, I just put on a set of Cooper STT PRO (mud tire), not the best in wet. Cooper just came out with a really good tire called Evolution MT.  My next set of tires will be the Cooper Evolution MTs.

I've been very happy with Cooper tires. The ones have now are stt. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stray Horse said:

Try Goodyear Wrangler Dura Trac.  It's the best tire I've ever had and lasted a long time.

I've been pleased enough with my Duras to have gone with them again and again.

One fella on CWT complained to me that the Dura Trac hooks up so well off road he had to be careful not to spin the rim at the bead.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, stanley said:

My experience has been the opposite, in that I’ve always gotten max wear on mine. (Though the mud terrains HATED the desert…).   Suppose it might depend on type/weight of vehicle.  

Just put these on my Tacoma last week.  Hoping to get >50K, but time will tell.  

98878BE8-E24D-499D-80C9-7F43E5D35D3F.jpeg

Bfg tires have a softer rubber compound. They will run forever on half ton and lower trucks. All my friends and family running bigger trucks burn them up in 15k miles but Toyota's and my Broncos will get a very long life using them I get 50 out of them and but they get dry after a few years.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Explorer said:

Bfg tires have a softer rubber compound. They will run forever on half ton and lower trucks. All my friends and family running bigger trucks burn them up in 15k miles but Toyota's and my Broncos will get a very long life using them I get 50 out of them and but they get dry after a few years.

I concur. I got almost 15k on BFG ats on my dually , mostly towing. That gets expensive.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Explorer said:

Bfgs get shredded in rocky country on bigger trucks.

15 hours ago, Explorer said:

BFG had released the AT in certain sizes in the "DT" compound meant for heavier trucks. They last longer in the bigger trucks, but they do loose the 3 peak snow rating because they are not quite as sticky. I have them on my Cummins and they have done pretty well.