Sign in to follow this  
Whitetail Buck Deer

2021 37A Bighorn Hunt

On 2/10/2022 at 3:47 PM, Whitetail Buck Deer said:

https://youtu.be/-Vmpmw-tqHk

A little late but I was able to harvest a nice Ram this on 12/15/2021. I knew how special drawing this tag was (6 Bonus Points) and wanted to do everything I possibly could to earn this privilege. 

I immediately got in the phone and called everyone I knew that might have information that I could use, watched every video and read any type of information I could about Desert Bighorn. To be honest Bighorn hunting was something I never thought I would have to think about until I was 60, 70, 80 years old IF I was lucky! 

I knew I wanted to scout as much as possible. I attended the Sheep Clinic and also the banquet and I tried to absorb what ever information I could.

I scouted hard about 10 weekends I was able to make it out. I took tons of video and pictures. I would spend all week reviewing/judging. I wasn’t to big on score but was hoping for a 170’s mature ram.

When the hunt came I kept preaching patience to myself. I was wanting to spend time enjoying the hunt and that I did. I had lots of help from a lot of friends that made it when they could. The weather was perfect, it was overcast a few days, some light rain and highs in the upper 60’s.

After seeing on average of about 10 or so different rams a day over different country, I finally found the Ram I wanted to take a shot at on Tuesday evening. We bedded him down  and made a plan that he was there in the morning I would try and take him.

Wednesday morning we had to walk in about a mile and there he was up and feeding. My buddy Marcos Ranged him at 600 yards I settled in with a nice cliff on my right, reminding myself not to get to excited and fall over. 610 yards, a little further than I was wanting to shoot but I was comfortable, we made it happen. 

I definitely couldn’t be anymore appreciative of the tag I had I understood and soaked it all in!  

Thanks to everyone’s advice and help, the wife of course, my family who helped wherever I needed, my 10 year old Brody who could only be out there 4 days because of school getting into the way! my friends with Ace in the Hole Outfitters Marcos, Jon and Ramon. Friends that helped glass, give advice and anything else I needed, Gabe, Brian Myers Matt, Drew, Craig, Kile, Ogle a long list that I’m sure I’m forgetting a lot of people by they know who they are.

Also big thanks to Jon with Ace in the Hole in putting together this video for this once in a lifetime hunt !

8A2F6749-62F7-458E-A33C-2831BB34564A.jpeg

BB44B1C8-13FA-40C6-9B6A-046B94A35F3B.jpeg

E0155D8E-76DD-489D-8E88-DC091678EA0B.jpeg

876251BD-D627-454D-A640-682FA89C6CF5.jpeg

7BBCFAC8-D3E2-4343-BA6D-8BE44BC98EE6.jpeg

I’m guessing either silverbell or sawtooth area. Congrats on the ram. Great country in 37a

• Like 1

So you're saying there is a chance!! And I am getting grumpy about my 7 deer points.awesome story and ram!

• Like 1

Congratulations, very nice ram I'm jealous of your 6pts I'm only at 20pts. 

• Like 1

Congrats on your ram that is awesome. That was my first choice maybe this year  

• Like 1