Non-Typical Solutions

Moose attack

Need more than a .380 in alaska...

10mm minimum. If she had mag dumped a bunch of 10mm hard cast or some .44mag plus in it alot of this could have been deterred. 

She said no musher would ever travel with a rifle or a large caliber gun, instead preferring to scare off animals with a flare gun. And with all the jostling of the sled, the larger guns could easily go off.…………..   

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

She said no musher would ever travel with a rifle or a large caliber gun, instead preferring to scare off animals with a flare gun. And with all the jostling of the sled, the larger guns could easily go off.…………..   

I didn't think Laskons were libs,wtf.

By her own admission she wasn't ready for this scenario.

Experienced mushers know better.

2 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

To be fair, flare guns are absolutely terrifying. 

• Haha 2

Remember when Jim Rome used to call that race the "I Killed A Dog" ?

Thinking if someone chooses to be in the wild unarmed, they need to be at peace with whatever comes next. e.g. Timothy Treadwell.

Not really sure why this made the news other than they shot a moose out of season. 

Do you think she'll be brought up on animal cruelty charges because her dogs could not escape since they were tethered together and she took no precautions to defend them? 

I know, a ridiculous question. I just have little tolerance for morans. 

If that were a hobby of mine, pretty sure I would make weight allowances to have a Marlin 45-70 guide gun in a scabbard ready to go and easy to get to. 

• Like 2

Plain and simple, she wasn't prepared!! I've been hunting and fishing in Alaska for 30 plus years...  I wouldn't think of heading into the woods with just a .380!! She should've had a 338 magum at the very least.  I keep a 454 on my hip at all times, and I like my .338 mag Browning repeater for moose and my .458 for bear. I carry my 454 even if I'm fishing!! I take no chances when I'm there. Nature is unforgiving and she was lucky to get a second chance. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bigmalcolm said:

Nature is unforgiving and she was lucky to get a second chance.

Amen to this.  Here is one of my favorite quotes by Ralph Waldo Emerson:

Nature: she pardons no mistakes. Her yea is yea, and her nay, nay.

• Like 2

I refuse to watch/look due to my love of dogs. Sounds like a Brooklyn lib transplanted into the wilderness, such stupidity.

Once when coming out of the Superstitions, my trail dog was about 50 yards ahead of me. That was pretty typical but all at once he spun around and raced back to me, highly unusual. He'd caught the scent of a lion up ahead.

Lion was perched on a boulder above the trail. He jumped into the trail and in another jump, was going down into a deep, steep canyon. Pretty sure he wanted my dog to have joined him down there for a meal.

I had a rifle in the scabbard but was caught off guard, happened so fast. Nearly always having a dog with me I've determined not to let something like that happen again if I can help it..

• Like 2