Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Motor oil question

I can't find a dealer that has any openings. Gotta change my oil myself. I am having a heck of a time tracking down 0-40. I found some but its "European" formula. It's still SAE 0-40 though. Would you think there would be any issues using it? I miss the old days. 

Uncle Bezos has some on his site (Pennzoil for SRT vehicles). That Euro stuff is at Autozone for performance gas and diesel applications. If I were a betting man, and I am, I'd say you'd be fine. But then again, I have no skin in the game as they say. I always felt oil weights were more of a guideline than a rule (within reason) but I may be showing my own ignorance. It's not like you are throwing plain 30w down its throat. 

Curious, what kind of rig are you working on? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HorseHunter said:

Uncle Bezos has some on his site (Pennzoil for SRT vehicles). That Euro stuff is at Autozone for performance gas and diesel applications. If I were a betting man, and I am, I'd say you'd be fine. But then again, I have no skin in the game as they say. I always felt oil weights were more of a guideline than a rule (within reason) but I may be showing my own ignorance. It's not like you are throwing plain 30w down its throat. 

Curious, what kind of rig are you working on? 

2018 power wagon. 

Having some fun today too. New light bar and lights! 16447076959004023885409697298856.thumb.jpg.0ed18786aa206e6c32eef56a808e2e57.jpg

• Like 2

Those look great!

This oil (below) is made for your SRT 6.4L Hemi. Looks like you can get it Tuesday. 

I have a light kit and an underbody toolbox to install on my 03 SuperDuty project too! 

image.thumb.png.0985f6fb81bdc224620a91ca860e0c51.png

• Like 2

I think I'm going to order some, but I'm about 100 miles over now and headed south Monday. Unless I can get some by tomorrow I'm going to use the euro stuff. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

I think I'm going to order some, but I'm about 100 miles over now and headed south Monday. Unless I can get some by tomorrow I'm going to use the euro stuff. 

I have the same motor and buy my oil @ walmart.  Mobile 1 0w- 40.  130,000 miles later, no issues.  Penzoil tried to pull some bullshit with an extra additive in theirs'.   Guy at the dealership said to use Mobile 1 because it's a lot cheaper and is still good oil. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ctafoya said:

Go to Walmart and get their super tech brand  made by Valvoline in 0-30 or 5-30 full synthetic oil dexos approved and should work just fine. Biggest reason you need to use what they recommend or as close as possible is the valve train and lifter dynamics. Using other weights such as 15-40 will end up ruining the top end of the motor by slugging it up then it gets ugly real quick.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HuntHarder said:

I have the same motor and buy my oil @ walmart.  Mobile 1 0w- 40.  130,000 miles later, no issues.  Penzoil tried to pull some bullshit with an extra additive in theirs'.   Guy at the dealership said to use Mobile 1 because it's a lot cheaper and is still good oil. 

I run 5W-40 Mobile 1 in my 2000 F250. Pretty happy with it. It turned 313K today  on the way back from 16A to Mesa. @ 15 qts every change I could save some Cha Ching and use conventional  oil but a new engine is $10K.

• Like 1

Can I high Jack your thread with a question on my oil? 2015 dodge Cummins and I use full Synthetic Canadian Petro oil and only put 2k miles on it since last summer. How often should it be change if I’m not hitting the miles?

also my buddy has the 2019 power wagon and says he uses mobile1 0-40 with 80k with no issues. He did a oil sample and everything looks good. 

• Like 1

I would change my oil at least once a year even with low miles driven.  Oil is cheap compared to a  engine swap.  

Sucks that the OP is having trouble finding oil.  I started changing my own oil a long time ago and won't go back to wasting time and money at a shop.  At least you have piece of mind that it's done right and with the right products.  Use this as a opportunity to stock up on your oil when it's available and have it on hand to change on your own time👍.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, G_E_E said:

I would change my oil at least once a year even with low miles driven.  Oil is cheap compared to a  engine swap.  

Sucks that the OP is having trouble finding oil.  I started changing my own oil a long time ago and won't go back to wasting time and money at a shop.  At least you have piece of mind that it's done right and with the right products.  Use this as a opportunity to stock up on your oil when it's available and have it on hand to change on your own time👍.  

I’ve changed my own oil on everything I own for 20+ years. The last time I had it done it was done by Big O and like I always did I got home and popped the hood just to check fill level and when I did I noticed the radiator shroud was cracked with a little oil on it and oil fill cap was gone. The tech obviously left the filler cap on the shroud and slammed the hood. A few months later a friend of mine had another outfit change the oil in their suv and they put a filter on that was too long, steering linkage caught the end of the filter and tore it off and 2 blocks down the road the motor started knocking! Probably took 50000 miles off the life of that motor! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sky Island junkie said:

I’ve changed my own oil on everything I own for 20+ years. The last time I had it done it was done by Big O and like I always did I got home and popped the hood just to check fill level and when I did I noticed the radiator shroud was cracked with a little oil on it and oil fill cap was gone. The tech obviously left the filler cap on the shroud and slammed the hood. A few months later a friend of mine had another outfit change the oil in their suv and they put a filter on that was too long, steering linkage caught the end of the filter and tore it off and 2 blocks down the road the motor started knocking! Probably took 50000 miles off the life of that motor! 

So do most people. Been doing it myself for 51 years. I have no problem with having a shop do it. I just check it afterward.

• Like 2