Boarman03

Elk Muzzle Hunt Suggestions

Well, I put in for the Elk Muzzle Hunts.  We t got the earlier dates. It will be my first ever Elk Hunt if I get drawn, just like my Mule Deer last year. 

I know I need to get to know the area a little before I go, but what is a good video on how to call them in? Where can I find out about their habits and preferences, besides water. Won't know the area until the draw, if I get drawn, but I thought I would start learning now.

My Muzzle loader will shoot a 45 cal 300 grain bullet at 2424fps past 600 yards, but I don't want to push more than 500. At 321 yards my Mule Deer only made it about 30 yards before it dropped and was finished. The arrowhead NSR bullet left a huge hole for the exit, about a silver dollar in size, so the bullet had plenty of energy.

Calling an Elk on, during rut, would be preferred.

If you highly successful elk hunters would give this old man some pointers, by pm if you prefer, I would greatly appreciate it.

I've got to try and make up for lost time. At over 60, the clock is definitely ticking.

Thanks guys.

Russ

I'm not very educated in the new long range guns. Im a traditional guy myself, but I wouldn't shoot passed 200 max.

As for calling, YouTube University is a good start, then practice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Allforelk said:

You are pushing a 300 grain 45 cal bullet 2400 FPS past 600 yards?

Correct. 2424 fps near muzzle per Lab Radar.

111 grains of Blackhorn209

2 hours ago, bigorange said:

For basic calling I learned a lot from Steve Chapell’s videos. For humor I watch Dave Chapell. 

Thanks. I'll check out Steve's.

2 hours ago, zackcarp said:

I'm not very educated in the new long range guns. Im a traditional guy myself, but I wouldn't shoot passed 200 max.

As for calling, YouTube University is a good start, then practice.

Got my Mule deer at 321 with 15 mph wind gusting to 45mph. Check my Campfire post.

is this your first year putting in for elk?  if so and you are putting in for an early muzzle loader tag you will be a long time before you draw a tag.  good luck but it could be 15 - 20 years before you draw.

The 45 cal muzzleloader with over 100 gr of blackhorn I assume by weight is no joke .It will make the shot no problem .I shoot a paramount pro with 112 gr by weight and a 285 .My buddy and I were out on the ham hunt last week and after we finished hunting we had to clear our guns and found a steel plate and his 50 cal with 150 gr white hots and a elr at 50 yds only put a dent in the plate my 45 shot right thru.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crazymonkey said:

The 45 cal muzzleloader with over 100 gr of blackhorn I assume by weight is no joke .It will make the shot no problem .I shoot a paramount pro with 112 gr by weight and a 285 .My buddy and I were out on the ham hunt last week and after we finished hunting we had to clear our guns and found a steel plate and his 50 cal with 150 gr white hots and a elr at 50 yds only put a dent in the plate my 45 shot right thru.

Yes, I know what my gun can do. Todd@ Southern Xpress Custom Rifles built it and he is one of the best rifle builders as many on here can attest to, especially the new muzzle loaders. He shot his  Coues Whitetail a couple of years ago with a 375 caliber muzzle loader at roughly 568 yards, if I remember right. His friend videoed the shot and it was super clean. Deer was standing for a moment after, then just rolled down the hill.

SunDevil is probably right about how long it may take, but I've been very fortunate so far. I'll just have to plan as though I'm getting drawn and start learning all I can. Last year was my first Deer hunt, and it was muzzle loader. Scored/measured 173 and looks very nice according to everyone who has seen it. Maybe I'll be very fortunate again. If not, still doesn't hurt to learn.

• Like 2

I’d get the tag then worry about the hunt. If you’re just starting out you’re probably about 30-35 years out for an early muzzy tag at the rate things are inflating.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yotebuster said:

I’d get the tag then worry about the hunt. If you’re just starting out you’re probably about 30-35 years out for an early muzzy tag at the rate things are inflating.  

Supposedly 20% of the draw is points and 80% is random. If that is true, I should have the same chance as any of the other 80% unless they get an additional entry in the random for every point they have. I might not be fortunate and I might be fortunate. 

Is the early muzzle hunt harder to get drawn in than the early general hunt or archery for elk?What is the order of difficulty in being selected for elk and for which hunts? I'm sure area also comes into play.

In fact;

Which is the order of difficulty for type of animal to get drawn for?

What are the hardest areas to get drawn in for each animal?

Does putting multiple people on your tag increase your chances, especially if there is a female or youth?

Any of this info I'm sure would be helpful.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Boarman03 said:

Supposedly 20% of the draw is points and 80% is random. If that is true, I should have the same chance as any of the other 80% unless they get an additional entry in the random for every point they have. I might not be fortunate and I might be fortunate. 

Is the early muzzle hunt harder to get drawn in than the early general hunt or archery for elk?What is the order of difficulty in being selected for elk and for which hunts? I'm sure area also comes into play.

In fact;

Which is the order of difficulty for type of animal to get drawn for?

What are the hardest areas to get drawn in for each animal?

Does putting multiple people on your tag increase your chances, especially if there is a female or youth?

Any of this info I'm sure would be helpful.

Thanks.

I’ll try to work my way through them.  Let me know if I miss any.  

You are correct.  Some will draw in the random pool.  You get one point per year if not drawing.  So statistically someone with 10 points is 10x more likely to draw then you with zero.  While you can get lucky, there are VERY limited tags for September firearms hunts so the supply is tiny and the demand huge.  
The rough odds (apps vs tags is in the back of the book)

I would say sheep tags are hardest followed VERY closely by September firearms elk hunts and firearm antelope hunts then strip deer and late kaibab deer tags.  All of these you can expect 20+ Points right now but they creep up about a point a year so it’s very realistic that all the aforementioned tags will take 30-50 points in the future.  Essentially people need to die in order for the demand to fall.  

Group apps are averaged.  If you have 2 and your buddy 4 then your app goes in as a single app with 3 points.   So it betters one guy and hurts the other.  Kids are same story.  

• Like 1