Sign in to follow this  
creed

hunting/camping solo

Campmeat's thread got me thinking, Just curious as to how many hunt mainly alone and why. I probably hunt/camp solo 75% of the time, sometimes for several days at a time. When I do hunt with someone it is usually my wife. I don't need company and find solo helps clear my head out of the garbage that tends to clutter it up. Helping out others is different. I usually camp with them when I am helping but if it is my hunt, especially archery, it is usually alone. It makes my family nervous because of poor cell phone reception in some of my areas and health issues that come with age but it is my favorite way to hunt.

• Like 8

I camp with others about half the time but always hunt alone.

• Like 2

Guest akaspecials

I camp and hunt alone 90% of the time for 2 reasons.

1. Most people refuse to walk more than a mile from the truck, especially in poor conditions. 

2. I've been burnt on deer and quail areas too many times after swearing people to secrecy. 

I do carry an InReach for emergencies, and the family expects a message daily.  I try to camp in groups for serious weather or if I'm near sketchy areas. 

I predominately hunt and camp alone. When I'm alone I can really immerse myself 110% into the hunt. Every decision becomes my own, how far I hike and how hard I hunt is solely on me. I enjoy that aspect. But my favorite hunt of the year is with a buddy and we always camp together and most days will hunt together as well. The camaraderie is refreshing and time around the camp fire at night is second to none. Both are great, I probably need to do a better job of mixing both styles.

• Like 3

For 25 years I archery hunted alone mostly. I hunted birds with friends usually and always joined the rifle tag camps that buddies went on. More often now with my son in law and a coupe of his friends that have taken an interest, I look forward to having them in my camps. Now days most of my solo trips are just scouting and/or camping. I really enjoy being on my own still. Probably always will. 

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

At least half the reason I camp and hunt is fellowship with friends, so I’m probably the opposite and rarely hunt alone. 

I’m the same way. I hunt alone maybe 75% of the time. But with age, I find the camaraderie with family and friends very rewarding. A few have since passed away and those hunts are still special. To me, elk camp, turkey camp, quail camp….etc is much more enjoyable with people I care about.

• Like 4

Yrs gone bye.  Never an issue to go hunting alone.

Now I like knowing that someone knows which way I went and might actually look for me,  if I don't comeback .

Camping alone, basically same thing. Not so bad now but I normally let wife know my plans , but  being mobile there was no way of communicating changes. Now technology makes things easier.

In 2019 I spent about 20 days solo on the Kaibab hunting bison.  12 days solo hunting the strip and 8-10 hunting alone in unit 1. I stopped asking my hunting partners if they are coming. If they show up cool. If they don't cool. 

• Like 2

I use to do all solo hunts and the wife did not like the idea.A couple pics of bears and mountain lions and I would get the guilt trip.I always explain I've got a rifle ,bow and always have a handgun.May not have been the best caliber for most animals that you'd need to stop .But now I hunt by my self or with dad and camp in a group and as for guns its a 10mm or a stubby 44 just in case.

I am afraid of the dark and being alone, so I camp near hookers, titty bars, and places of ill repute.  I do camp mostly with people and rarely hunt alone.

1 hour ago, bigorange said:

At least half the reason I camp and hunt is fellowship with friends, so I’m probably the opposite and rarely hunt alone. 

Same here. 

I have had some fantastic  solo hunts. Being alone in the woods is somewhat ethereal for me(as it is probably for many). But I have found that I enjoy the "camp" just as much as I do the hunt. As I have gotten older I like my trailer and comfy bed. I love a "big camp" with lots of friends(ok not "friends" but people who tolerate me) after a good day hunting. It also makes a bad day of hunting bearable.

I have also found that I get more joy out of taking new people and kids hunting than anything else. I would rather fail taking a new person or kid hunting than have success alone. For me it has become more about the experience than the "hunt" or "kill". 

But I still try very hard to not come home empty handed. 

• Like 3