Guest akaspecials

The other draw (The Grand)

Guest akaspecials

7 years of applying and I finally drew a permit for a river trip down the Grand Canyon in August 2023! We have 16 days to cover 280 miles. I'm sure a few of you have done this trip and have some knowledge to drop. Please share your experience or any advice you have for me. Things you should have done, shouldn't have done, etc. Anyone take fishing gear? I'd like to wish everyone good luck on the elk/lope draw too!  

Did it on a research trip in June 2020. It's hot af but not bad if you keep covered and jump in every so often. Sleep as close to the river as possible for the cooling effect. If you can find out the dam release schedule. We had small cots but one guy set up too close and woke up with water running under him and had some stuff washed away. 

Depends on type of trip ... Private or commercial? If it is a private trip check out Ceiba and they will get you all set with gear . As mentioned above its hotter than heck that time of year . Camp close to the water to stay cool but you can usually see the high /low water marks so stay just above the high during your trip. As far as gear take extra shoes or sandals. always have a tether for your camera and take a bunch of pictures . Dont forget to look back up the river as you are going down because you never think to look at it from that angle. If someone suggests a hike or something to see just do it because its worth it. The fishing isnt that great down river from Lees ferry , they literally will eat your food scraps from any meal. I spent 6 years electro fishing down there. If you are doing this as a private trip take one of your favorite snacks/ drinks but whatever you think you will need in 2 weeks take double . if you smoke or chew same rule applies whatever you think you will need take half more. Sunglasses are a must ! Polarized are better. 

Did a private trip October of 2018 which was the wettest October in recent history.  Stayed wet and somewhat cold which was the only negative.  Sixteen days, got out @ Diamond Creek.  Used Moenkopi for our gear and shuttle.  The gear provided was very good as were the provisions.  We were fortunate to have former river guides/boatmen on our trip who provided strong leadership.  Get in shape and take care of your feet while in the canyon.  Trip of a lifetime!  

We had good trout fishing till the water clarity went south from all the rain.  Nothing of any size, all 12-14" rainbows caught with anything shiny.  Expect monsoon action during your August trip and therefore, water clarity issues.  

Guest akaspecials

Thanks guys. Private trip. Small group. One professional river guide in the group (Lochsa, Snake, Merced, American, Gauley experience), and 2 in group with GC experience rowing their own boats. I will be renting a 18' from Moenkopi, but we have most of the gear ourselves from other multi day river trips. We'll likely do a night at Moenkopi's river house and have them set shuttle too. 

Monsoon flooding/falling debris is my largest concern. And rowing Crystal, Lava, and Hermit... lol. That muddy water mentioned above is just unnerving to float on. 

Keep the advice coming!

went on a commercial trip nearly 50 years ago.  Trip of a lifetime. Crystal  and Lava were huge at the time. Some riders chose to hike around. As mentioned was very hot. Enjoy yourself.

Congrats!  This permit is even much harder to get than a sheep tag!  I have done the Grand five times in my home built 16' cataraft, three times as trip leader. What month is your put-on? If it's not Summer, the days will be shorter, and it will be a challenge to get down in 16 days.   Hermit rapid is always just fun waves, Crystal and especially Lava have become easier runs over the years due to floods.  You will do fine.  The monsoon should not affect you too much, just be careful when hiking the side canyons.  The Monsoon will also trash the fishing.  Here are a few things in no particular order:

1. Make sure you have adequate raft space for all your gear. The Grand is big water, but there are a few technical moves and some must "catch eddies". If your raft is overloaded, these moves can be difficult. (Crystal and Mother Rock to name a few).  It's always a battle at the put-in to get other stuff on someone else's raft.

2. The fishing is generally pretty good up to the LCR (little Colorado river).  After that the water gets pretty murky.

3. For drinking water you will need a Katadine filter or equivalent.  When the water gets murky, the filter clogs up fast and you really need to decant the sediment out before you filter.  You can let the water settle in buckets for hours or there are products you can add that will settle the settlement quickly.

4. Good organization of common equipment (kitchen) and food is critical. Have specific meals planned for every meal and stick to it to keep the food organized.  There are companies (PRO in Flag) that sell this service.  I have done both ways, and paying PRO or someone else to organize and pack the food is definitely worth it.

5. Packing out the trash is always challenging.  Burn what you can in your fire pan, keep crushed cans in a separate burlap bag, and have more trash space than you think that you will need.

6. Establish a duty roster before the trip, and assign specific people to cooking, water, toilet duty for each day of the trip.  I have done it both ways, with and without, and even when everyone is good friends, a few people (especially the TL) will end up doing most of the work unless you have and established duty roster.

7. If you are a small group (under 8 people), be careful where you park you boat overnight.  The water can drop a lot overnight.  If you are parked on a long shallow beach and don’t have enough people to drag your boat to the river, you may have to D-rig to move it.

8. No matter how low and boring the water level is, do not run mile 209 rapid.  You WILL flip!

PM me if you like.

Mark

Raft.bmp