peckl1

End of hunting season in 36A until the Fall.

Well yesterday was the end of this past Fall and Winter season. Here are some stats:

I visited with approximately 65 different campsites during the season. We had more but I didn't visit unless it was daylight and there was at least 1 adult man outside. So I missed talking to those who left before dawn and didn't get back to camp before dark.

I found 21 campsites that had been abandoned after their hunt that still had hot coals in the firepit. We had locks cut 6 times at the our corrals and one incident where someone cut the chains with a grinder. I filled up 2 of those blue buckets (25 gallons) with beer cans and bottles left in fire pits. I almost filled one 1 full of shot gun shells. It seemed to be duck hunters were the worst offenders.

The first day of hunting we had someone set up a blind inside one of our posted corrals! I found unlocked and shut gates were left open 6 times. We had 9 people park on the east side of the locked gate at Botamote Corral in the private property area. We need that area free of vehicles to allow for  truck and trailers to be able to back up to the loading shoot.

Noah Silva, the Game Worden, provided us with a lot more signs to inform people of the rules. Thanks Noah!

I did not see all of the game that was taken but we had a few better than average animals taken. That is all I will say about that, but I will say y'all didn't get several better than average bucks I know about. I sure hope I get drawn later on this year. 

• Like 5

I hunted 36A for the 1st time back in about 1970...I haven't hunted 36A since about the late 1990's... Beautiful area just too many people and too much of the negative behaviors you described... Now the family and I travel many miles further away to hunt...Glad to hear the area remains open to public recreation... Considering how poorly people are treating your land I'll understand if you have to close it to access...Thank you for sharing your observations in 36A......

I hear of this more and more and it’s sad!   This is exactly why we are loosing our access and ranchers are shutting their places down.

• Like 2

I had one of the hunts this fall and met the OP…very nice gentleman and thanks for all that you do helping keep an eye on things out there. 

I hate hearing about the negatives of how people treat the land and property that allows access. But, thanks for putting it out there, hopefully this information makes it to at least one offender to let them know it ain’t proper. 

Was always raised to leave it better than ya found it. 

• Like 2

Great meeting you this year, and I appreciate the help. I was able to tag out on my last day of hunting on the late whitetail hunt. Beautiful area.

I went on many clean ups there.  Most of the trash was left by illegals.  One spot looked like the city dump.  We are talking full roll off dumpsters.  Yes some hunters are slobs but the border crossers are way worse.  

• Like 2

You are on drugs if you think it was worse 3 years ago.that or blinders are on.i havenever seen this much illegals littering the place up and I live here the last 20 years.

53 minutes ago, Ghostbird said:

You are on drugs if you think it was worse 3 years ago.that or blinders are on.i havenever seen this much illegals littering the place up and I live here the last 20 years.

Sounds like he lives and ranches there.  Maybe he’s on drugs too, who knows.  🤷🏻‍♂️

I have hunted this unit on and off since 1986. Over the years, I have seen lots of interesting stuff. And yes, the trash left in the desert is out of control. I am pretty sure all of us have seen this happening everywhere in our state......Not trash related - but one year in 36A, I came across some caves that had Ocotillo branches stacked up at the entrance. I figured illegals stacked them to hide from boarder patrol. Or they may have thought lions would get them while they slept. Regardless, I am glad we have access to some beautiful country and the amount of trash we pack out makes a difference. 

• Like 1

Yotebuster I am not on drugs. I have been living on the ranch for a little over a year now after being in Texas for the 6 years. If you come out here I will show you a book I put together to show people how bad it was back in the 90s.

Ghostbird Same for you I will be glad to show you that book also. 

On 3/1/2022 at 7:49 PM, bigorange said:

I had one of the hunts this fall and met the OP…very nice gentleman and thanks for all that you do helping keep an eye on things out there. 

We met him also, solid dude. He helped us with a gate situation. Pretty good year down there. 

• Like 2