Markleo21377

Just got a CC hit!!!

3 minutes ago, yotebuster said:

That requires time and proximity.  I drew a great NV deer tag a few years back and hired a guide and had an incredible hunt.  It was a once in a lifetime tag and I shot a once in 100 lifetimes buck.  It was a pre rut hunt and those require hundreds of hours to do right and there’s no way I could have done that being 1500 miles away.   
A year before that I drew a once in a lifetime mountain goat tag.  That one was 5 hours from home so I made it happen and scouted it myself and killed a B&C Billy. 
Do I look at either hunt differently?  Maybe.  I enjoyed the heck out of both of them, one with family and one I met some new friends that I keep in contact with to this day.  
Last year I got a once in a lifetime moose tag in my home state.  Ended up killing a great bull about 5 min from my house.   Didn’t even consider a guide for that hunt.  
This year I just found out I drew a real good AZ tag.  I’m 1200 miles away, I will be hiring a guide for this one too.  I may only get one or two more of them in my lifetime so I’m gonna make the most of it. 
Am I less of a hunter then you?  Maybe in your eyes I am.  If I had to wager a guess you haven’t killed much stuff real far from home though and that’s one of the things I enjoy the most about my hunting career.  

Wasting your breath on that guy 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Explorer said:

Gets sheep tag. Can't climb mountain.. $hit!!!

Reminds me of the earlier post on GMU 9 late cow. Hey that's actually not so easy. Filled one tag on my own and tried to help on two others cow hunts but those hunters had no desire to work for it.

On 3/5/2022 at 9:42 AM, trphyhntr said:

Many good hunters who are far more accomplished than their guides book a hunt simply because they’re unfamiliar with an area out of state. It’s about goals. The best hunters in the country still book guides for specific trophy hunts. 

now if you’re local, have time, not specifically trophy hunting, and book a guide I would tend to agree with you 

Very well said 👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbuckclub said:

Just jumping in to brag that I drew this year. 7 points. Either early rifle or early archery 27. Let's gooooooooo.

Nice…congrats! And thanks for bringing the original topic back into the thread! 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bigorange said:

Nice…congrats! And thanks for bringing the original topic back into the thread! 

Funny how sideways these threads go 🤣Congrats on the cow tags you and your crew drew 👍 Bulls or Cows, man we are blessed to be able to be in the woods!!! Never had a bad steak from either. Look forward to hearing the story and seeing the pictures in a few months!

50 minutes ago, Markleo21377 said:

Funny how sideways these threads go 🤣Congrats on the cow tags you and your crew drew 👍 Bulls or Cows, man we are blessed to be able to be in the woods!!! Never had a bad steak from either. Look forward to hearing the story and seeing the pictures in a few months!

We have a couple first time elk hunters in our crew and one is a kid…more excited to see the kid on his first elk hunt than anything! Can’t wait for that steak too after tag soup for me last year. 

• Like 4

unless I forgot that I bought something else for $135 on March 3, it looks like I get to google "Is 30 06 enough for elk?".

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, turbo said:

unless I forgot that I bought something else for $135 on March 3, it looks like I get to google "Is 30 06 enough for elk?".

Absolutely 30-06 is enough .Put that shot right behind that shoulder and watch them drop!I've only seen them go no more than 60 to 80 yds all my hunting buddy's all use them .I like my 300 win mag.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Crazymonkey said:

Absolutely 30-06 is enough .Put that shot right behind that shoulder and watch them drop!I've only seen them go no more than 60 to 80 yds all my hunting buddy's all use them .I like my 300 win mag.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

Being a bit sarcastic with the "30 06 enough" stuff....forgot to use the sarcasm font, lol.

I know that old cartridge works.  Time to start practicing :D

• Like 1

On 3/4/2022 at 5:26 PM, Markleo21377 said:

My buddy from South Carolina had the archery tag in 2020. I didn’t do a write up because I love the bad press it gets. Called in or had in bow range 33 bulls( some the same). Called this one in 3 days in a row and buddy could not get an arrow in himB3CFFDA8-86D5-46D8-8EDE-8A1A777ED5E3.thumb.jpeg.cb1438ab38a6ba5ed9db426274de426c.jpeg2EF318F7-18A6-44FD-89BA-4481EA8210B0.thumb.jpeg.0db5fded8adf1cc3adb432589cd8f582.jpeg

Oh my.  Definitely a stud!!!

17 hours ago, turbo said:

Being a bit sarcastic with the "30 06 enough" stuff....forgot to use the sarcasm font, lol.

I know that old cartridge works.  Time to start practicing :D

Everyone but Crazmonkey knew that though 🤣

16 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

Everyone but Crazmonkey knew that though 🤣

Maybe if he added is 30-06 enough….. and I just drew unit X…..I’m not looking for any honey holes but I don’t have time to scout and don’t know the area, so please PM all your super secret spots😂😂.

can’t wait for all those threads to start🙄

• Like 1