carpcody

Hunting with glasses

So unfortunately I can’t put off getting glasses any longer. I’m having a hard time seeing clearly through my 15s and riffle scope. I can’t see my pins through my peep sight either with my bow. What do you guys use that wear glasses? I want to be able to use my 15s. So I’m assuming the regular glasses will work best. Have you guys used transition lenses? It’s seems like they would be to dark to look through while glassing or shooting. And then for shooting my bow do glasses usually fix the blurry peep or are people using a magnified peep? 

LASIK is the best money I have ever spent

• Like 5

JSR beat me to it.

I got to the point where I needed glasses when walking/hiking to reasonably see anything past 50 yards before it was running.

About 2 minutes under a laser and I'm now good to go. It's not cheap, but it's not too bad either and 100% worth it!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, carpcody said:

So unfortunately I can’t put off getting glasses any longer. I’m having a hard time seeing clearly through my 15s and riffle scope. I can’t see my pins through my peep sight either with my bow. What do you guys use that wear glasses? I want to be able to use my 15s. So I’m assuming the regular glasses will work best. Have you guys used transition lenses? It’s seems like they would be to dark to look through while glassing or shooting. And then for shooting my bow do glasses usually fix the blurry peep or are people using a magnified peep? 

When I wore glasses, I ended-up going with daily wear contact lenses.  I found I was regularly frustrated with my glasses when sweat/fog would impede.   I also wanted to be able to wear sunglasses on a regular basis, which prescription glasses of course prevented. (Tried transition lenses, but never really liked them...)  Though contact lenses introduced a different level of inconvenience, they were still my preferred option when outdoors.

That being said, I give a BIG +1 to JSR's comment.  I had Lasik surgery over 10 years ago, and haven't looked back! (Yes, that's a pun... lol)   My eyes are still 20/20.

Good luck!

S.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, stanley said:

When I wore glasses, I ended-up going with daily wear contact lenses.  I found I was regularly frustrated with my glasses when sweat/fog would impede.   I also wanted to be able to wear sunglasses on a regular basis, which prescription glasses of course prevented. (Tried transition lenses, but never really liked them...)  Though contact lenses introduced a different level of inconvenience, they were still my preferred option when outdoors.

That being said, I give a BIG +1 to JSR's comment.  I had Lasik surgery over 10 years ago, and haven't looked back! (Yes, that's a pun... lol)   My eyes are still 20/20.

Good luck!

S.

I’m having a hard a time wrapping my mind around wearing glasses all the time. I’m outside most of the day so I know I’m going to end up ditching them. Il have to check out lasik. 

11 minutes ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

JSR beat me to it.

I got to the point where I needed glasses when walking/hiking to reasonably see anything past 50 yards before it was running.

About 2 minutes under a laser and I'm now good to go. It's not cheap, but it's not too bad either and 100% worth it!

I’m basically in the same boat. The eye dr wasn’t too high on lasik, he tried getting me to pay $600 for two pairs of glasses so that’s probably why lol.  He acted like it was a waste. Il try an actual lasik dr and see what he says. I’d much rather go that route. 

If you are a candidate for Lasik I would go that route. You didn't say how old you are. I have worn glassed since I was 13 and had RK in the early 90's and I was good for about 15 years before I had to get glasses again.

I wear  both prescription glasses and polarized sun glasses but when hunting I don't wear the sunglasses. Both have progressive so I can read, use computer and see distance.

• Like 1

I wear contacts…solves my issues with glasses. I keep a spare set in my gear at camp just in case. One of these years I might go the lasik route. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bigorange said:

I wear contacts…solves my issues with glasses. I keep a spare set in my gear at camp just in case. One of these years I might go the lasik route. 

I tried glasses, I just couldn't wear them. Lasik was great, and on my checklist, post divorce. 

1 minute ago, Curtis Reed said:

I had lasik in 2007. The past year i’ve felt I may need to see if I can have it again. Vision is regressing a bit. 

The place I had it done offered free touch up, and they said I would need it in about 10-15 years. 

• Like 1

You don't have to lasik both eyes. 

I work at computer most of the day and the lasik DR told me to just get my dominate eye fixed so that I could focus correctly both close and far.

I have been hunting in contacts for 25yrs. They can be irritating at times, but my buddy with glasses struggles way more. If its dusty I usually take daily wear contacts and just throw them away at night. Whenever We are in camp I just take them out and wear glasses. Transition lenses are nice but they take getting use to. If you walk into a dark room after being in the sun they take a few seconds to change.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSR said:

You don't have to lasik both eyes. 

I work at computer most of the day and the lasik DR told me to just get my dominate eye fixed so that I could focus correctly both close and far.

I think I really just need my right eye done. 

If you’re over 40 and diagnosed with presbyopia, LASIK cannot prevent the natural aging process of the lens and may not be effective. We all encounter this after 40. My eye doc told me there’s a different procedure for presbyopia. Just something to ask during your LASIK appointment. 

I can’t glass with my glasses on, so for now, I take them off and just kinda live with it.

• Like 2