Lv2hnt

Another non-resident lion "expert" ...

Then, the agency should either prohibit killing female mountain lions, or at least implement a very limited total female quota that would require hunters to be judicious and careful in their hunt

The first part of that sentence is one of the dumbest things I've ever read. If there are no cubs around there is virtually no way of knowing if a lion is male or female, especially not in quick, heat of the moment type of hunting situations (predator calling)

I don't think I'd mind more limited female quotas, but I don't hunt lions and don't consider myself an expert. Curious what others on the site would think...

The article was pretty much spot on.  

Most lions are killed with the use of hounds and the sex can usually (not all the time) be determined when they are in the tree.   Most females have kittens or dependent cubs even if they are not with her at the time.   

The male quotas don't really matter.  They range much more widely than females and will repopulate an area where all the males have been killed quite quickly.  They also will kill each other if there are too many of them.  If all the females in an area are killed I have seen it take several years for a new female to move into that particular mountain range.  I agree with a lower female quota and think that NM has done a relatively good job with their system.

• Like 1