Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

What’s your 401K doing?

8 minutes ago, Newbie2012 said:

Short term losses, mean long term gains. Expand your data range and you’ll see even during downtrends, the market is always in an upward growth trend.

Time in the market beats timing the market.

Heres ten years in the S&P 500. Even the Covid dip hasn’t stopped the upward trend. 
27D58987-2403-44C3-BF83-63AD451A14B4.thumb.jpeg.7594156bb5a83974bdfc91cb4f49358a.jpeg

My long term is roughly 7% 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I’m thinking of doing something like a vanguard fund outside of 401K just so I can control it more.

Check out Vanguard Growth Index fund (VUG). Down 16% ytd but Over the last 15 years, it’s been a real performer 

• Like 2

You should not stop contributing when the market goes down. That makes no sense

• Like 3

Here’s the difference for me between last year and this year:

940DA269-523E-4B14-A728-62636E9566C7.jpeg

79E68D22-7FE3-4278-B6DC-1CA3693DF95E.jpeg

Noticed some of the crypto I watch is way down so I bought more today 

10 hours ago, muledeerarea33? said:

I’m thinking of doing something like a vanguard fund outside of 401K just so I can control it more.

Research vanguard. They are big sponsors of the left.

9 hours ago, SunDevil said:

You should not stop contributing when the market goes down. That makes no sense

I won’t stop contributing, I’d just like to also contribute to something else.

11 hours ago, Newbie2012 said:

Short term losses, mean long term gains. Expand your data range and you’ll see even during downtrends, the market is always in an upward growth trend.

Time in the market beats timing the market.

Heres ten years in the S&P 500. Even the Covid dip hasn’t stopped the upward trend. 
27D58987-2403-44C3-BF83-63AD451A14B4.thumb.jpeg.7594156bb5a83974bdfc91cb4f49358a.jpeg

BIG +1 on this.

If I got excited by a $40K daily upswing or bummed about a $40K daily drop in my 401K/IRA combo portfolio, I would go crazy.   Dollar cost averaging + the magic of compound interest/growth is a very powerful thing in the long-term. ;)

Max-out the IRS limits in basically any domestic growth fund (or a combo of sectors, whatever...), and over time you will be fine. 

• Like 2

Baron Rothschild, an 18th-century British nobleman and member of the Rothschild banking family, is credited with saying that "the time to buy is when there's blood in the streets."

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, stanley said:

BIG +1 on this.

If I got excited by a $40K daily upswing or bummed about a $40K daily drop in my 401K/IRA combo portfolio, I would go crazy.   Dollar cost averaging + the magic of compound interest/growth is a very powerful thing in the long-term. ;)

Max-out the IRS limits in basically any domestic growth fund (or a combo of sectors, whatever...), and over time you will be fine. 

100% - I like a little more diversity than "any domestic growth fund" but still 100% on this overall strategy...

Enjoy the ride...don't jump off the roller coaster. LoL

• Like 1

The advice about not timing the market is spot on 99% of the time...   Events like COVID proved that there are still times when you can effectively time the market tho.  I put almost my entire 401k on the sideline for almost 6 months.  I was able to buy in "cheap" and reaped some pretty substantial gains.  I also actively manage my own 401k funds and shift them according to world events.  Right or wrong, I have done well thus far.  Shifting from Large cap to small cap or bonds, energies, out of tech, back into tech has worked for me.  I also tried to educate myself on how the stock markets reacts to certain events.  My personal accounts, I like to swing for the fences on individual stocks, with my 401k, I stick to funds to stay diversified.  

• Like 2