sherman

Anyone know what this is

So going through my grandpa's stuff and found 2 of these pins. I know what he said they where for but he did tend to tell stories any information would be nice thanks 20220306_204104.thumb.jpg.024d1ebeee93075f9c45217f37cba007.jpg

• Like 2

AZ Varmit Callers Association

• Like 5

Cool stuff. The old days 

I use to go to all the meeting with Dad every month. They use to raffle off some cool stuff and their meeting were next to or at from what can remember at Goetel AC. 

• Like 1

So my question is was this like a pin for planning at a calling event 

3 hours ago, sherman said:

As I remember it you were rewarded with the appropriate animal pin whenever that predator was taken during one of the monthly scheduled hunts...You received a Bobcat pin for bringing in a Bobcat, a Fox pin for bringing in a Fox and a Coyote pin was given for each one of them brought in......

8 hours ago, sherman said:

It was the color of the pin that designates the number of bobcats in this case that had been called in. For a bobcat if I remember it was 1, 5 25 and 50 and coyote it was 5, 25, 50, 100

• Like 1

Next time your by Randalls, if memory serves its on 51st Ave and Olive. They used to have an AZ Varmit Callers Assoc trophy in there on display. Might be able to recognize some names on the trophy. I know one names on there was Del Western.

Lots of neat history in My Mentor about varmint hunting in Az.  

This is one reply from it. 

So I did a bit of googling and came up with this progression:

The Arizona Varmint Callers Assoc. started in 1957.
The Estrella Varmint Club began in 1959.
In 1962 the Tucson Varmint Callers joined the association.
The Mesa Varmint Callers were formed in 1964 as a chapter of the AVCA.
In 1967 the AVCA disbanded and reorganized as the Phoenix Varmint Callers Inc. (PVCI is still around today and meets at the American Legion on 57th Dr. in Glendale)
In 1976 the Tucson Varmint Callers became known as the Southern Arizona Wildlife Callers (still around and meets at the PSE building on N. Fairview)
In 1995 the Mesa chapter was renamed the Arizona Predator Callers ( still exists and meets at the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge on E. Main)

There might have been others around the state; do you recall any of them? 

• Like 1

I wonder if any are still up and/or active without being able to hold contests. I love calling, it's most of my hunting, but not sure what joining an org entails in this day and age now.

3 minutes ago, andyyy said:

I wonder if any are still up and/or active without being able to hold contests. I love calling, not sure what joining an org entails in this day and age now, though.

They can still hold contests as long as they follow the law, especially the part in bold type. 

Rule prohibiting organized predator hunting contests is in effect

Posted November 14, 2019

PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department reminds constituents that a new rule prohibiting organized hunting contests for predatory and fur-bearing animals became effective Nov. 3. The rule does not apply to lawful hunting of predatory and fur-bearing animals (which is a valuable wildlife management tool) outside of contests as defined by the rule, nor does it apply to events such as fishing tournaments.

For the purposes of the rule, “contest” means a competition where participants must register or record entry and pay a fee, and prizes or cash are awarded to winning or successful participants.

Predatory animals, as defined by Arizona law, are coyotes, bobcats, foxes and skunks. Fur-bearing animals are weasels, raccoons, beavers, badgers, ringtail cats, muskrats, otters and bobcats.

The Arizona Game and Fish Commission proactively proposed the rule in spring 2019 to address social concerns over formally organized and publicized contests that award prizes to competitors who kill the largest number or variety of predators or fur-bearing animals. The rule was approved by the Governor’s Regulatory Review Council (GRRC) in September.

• Like 1

Just now, trophyseeker said:

They can still hold contests as long as they follow the law, especially the part in bold type. 

Rule prohibiting organized predator hunting contests is in effect

Posted November 14, 2019

PHOENIX — The Arizona Game and Fish Department reminds constituents that a new rule prohibiting organized hunting contests for predatory and fur-bearing animals became effective Nov. 3. The rule does not apply to lawful hunting of predatory and fur-bearing animals (which is a valuable wildlife management tool) outside of contests as defined by the rule, nor does it apply to events such as fishing tournaments.

For the purposes of the rule, “contest” means a competition where participants must register or record entry and pay a fee, and prizes or cash are awarded to winning or successful participants.

Predatory animals, as defined by Arizona law, are coyotes, bobcats, foxes and skunks. Fur-bearing animals are weasels, raccoons, beavers, badgers, ringtail cats, muskrats, otters and bobcats.

The Arizona Game and Fish Commission proactively proposed the rule in spring 2019 to address social concerns over formally organized and publicized contests that award prizes to competitors who kill the largest number or variety of predators or fur-bearing animals. The rule was approved by the Governor’s Regulatory Review Council (GRRC) in September.

Ah, thanks. I didn't realize it was only if money was involved. 

So Lame and fishy can spent money shooting coyotes out of a helicopter.  But, normal hunting by hunters cannot if $ are involved.  Leftest crap.

• Like 1