Sign in to follow this  
Explorer

Who is raising beef

Wondering who is raising beef and what the cost is compared to buying a full grown beef and cleaning it out per say with choice food and then butchering. I have a ice freezer converted to a fridge and a backhoe and enough land for 2 or 3 cattle. Thanks for any input.

I think you could buy a couple of steers from the MARLEY RANCH in Amado. if you want me to have someone call you give me you number.

Weanling steers are going for 1.75-2 bucks a pound right now at auction. Plus feed, I'd say you'd be in it 2000+ to get a steer to 1000 pounds. Finished beef depends on who you get it from and how proud they are of it.

I’m seriously considering 2 or 3 bulls. Still doing my research on cost.

A big difference is what is your land ? Brush Desert 🌵  ? Irrigated Pasture ? How much is your water bill ? How often and how much time do you spend irrigating - ( is your schedule were you can spend that time doing that ) how’s your fences ? How much time money do you have to get them up to shape to keep cows in - so your not chasing cows - Feed is a huge cost - if you don’t have to feed very much until the end thats a big difference ….. or if you have to buy hay the entire time - ….. some people love the idea of growing there own and have nonidea , what it truly takes , and others are 100% prepared and ready …. I don’t know you so take this with a grain of salt for what it’s worth ….. they are a lot of work - but the end result is way better beef then you can buy at the store …. 
good luck 

56815684-597D-4B73-A60D-E3BA623186B8.jpeg

• Like 4

Call Bob Thrush. 928 685 BEEF

he raises and processes and knows all the ranchers who do as well in the west valley.

Unless you get free food and water it costs way more to go on your own.

All are good comments above, as to things to consider. The figure Sparks put out is in the ball park for last years costs. 

Raising finished beef for the retail and restaurant market is what I do to support my farm, we do 35-40 beaves a year and have for 30 yrs. now. A few things.

For your situation, I would suggest buying yearlings in the 750-900 lb range in May (getting beef through the winter can be pretty costly and labor intensive) and feeding them on your pasture until September-October, try to get them to at least 1000 lbs. Best to feed at least two together. Be conservative the first year on how many your pasture can support, most people over estimate that and slowly degrade it. You have a good sale barn there, go to a few sales and just watch. Then look at some of the ranches and other back yard guys. Were you buy them is not as important as what you buy, IMO stay away from the Brahman cattle, Corrientes ect. we breed Angus cattle, but other breeds work well also. 

When picking out yearlings look for CALM cattle, with good hinds that carry low, full backs, bright eyed, good coats. As soon as I got them home I would worm them with an Ivomec injectable. Ivomec Plus is good for those raised in areas that have liver fluke infestations. A lot a permanent pasture in AZ has that now, ask the producer. And ask if he has wormed them and with what, and when. A good indicator of a liver fluke area is the presents of snails. 

Don't forget processing costs, you have a good packing house there in Perkinsville if they are still in business. Call them and check on availability of appointment slots and costs. I am currently scheduled out to June of 2023 with my processer just to make sure I can get animals in.

If you want to supplement with grain, (we offer both, grass finished and grain finished in our program), understand the grain prices are out the roof. Two years ago I was paying 500/ton for corn and sweetfeed, last year 800/ton. I expect 1000/ton this year. After working them up we are feeding 8 lbs twice a day/hd. We feed for 6-10 weeks. Watch them close for signs of bloat and always make sure they all come to the feeder at feeding time.

I hope that helps some, I am sure I am missing something. Personally, I think if you have the facilities raising your own beef is great! Great for the family!

• Like 4

On 3/8/2022 at 9:16 AM, TOBY said:

Call Bob Thrush. 928 685 BEEF

he raises and processes and knows all the ranchers who do as well in the west valley.

Unless you get free food and water it costs way more to go on your own.

Better hurry, Bob is slowly phasing into retirement. He still raises beef and butchers in Aguilla, no longer a mobile butcher.