JohnO

17B & 19B

Got drawn for 19B & 17B hunt.  Before submitting my app, I did not look at the difficulty with regard to private land before the draw (yeah, I know I'm a dumb a__).   Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.  I've deer hunted in 18B and I am familiar with the area west of 17B near Strotjost Flat.  If anyone has had success hunting here or has gotten permission from a land owner to hunt on his land in 17B or 19B, I would love to hear about that.  Thanks.

So it has begun. How many BP’s did you have?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

I have killed probably 15 bucks in17b and never seen an elk or sign. Must not be very many of them.

The o.p. is looking to catch an antelope😊

• Thanks 1

Good Morning,

I've got onX and have been e-scouting from home on the public land in 17B&19B.  As mentioned in my original post, I spent a lot of time in 18B 2 years ago, so I'm pretty familiar with the eastern side of that unit that butts up against 17B.   Also, have read through the AZGFD website for suggested hunting areas. 

Have any of you folks sought permission from any landowners in 17B or 19B and been granted that privilege?   

Thanks to everyone that has already responded to my original post - I do really appreciate your help. 

6 hours ago, GreyGhost85 said:

So it has begun. How many BP’s did you have?

I honestly did not expect to be drawn with 4 bonus points and a hunter ed point this year. ( 5 total)

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, JohnO said:

Have any of you folks sought permission from any landowners in 17B or 19B and been granted that privilege?   

OnX has a layer for land access 

2 minutes ago, Jfos said:

Did you buy point guard? 

I did.

Maybe capitalize on that. And save those 5 points for a a better hunt. It’s atleast an option. I’ve never hunted 17b so I really don’t know the ins and outs of it. But 5 points can get you a late rifle hunt on a decent unit.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jfos said:

Maybe capitalize on that. And save those 5 points for a a better hunt. It’s atleast an option. I’ve never hunted 17b so I really don’t know the ins and outs of it. But 5 points can get you a late rifle hunt on a decent unit.

He drew antelope, not elk. 

Don't point guard it. You will likely wait 20 years to draw that again

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Jfos said:

Thanks.   I was considering returning the tag, if they will take it back.

• Confused 1