Sign in to follow this  
andyyy

Should I upgrade from 30-06?

1 hour ago, firstcoueswas80 said:

I think youre looking into the belt on the 300 WM waaaayyyyyy to much.....

Why would you go with 300WM over 300PRC, if you don't have  dies, brass, or a rifle for either? Brass/dies are similar price (Lapua), same primers, and the rifles are the same as well. Seems like the PRC just has brass that lasts longer without the belt and factory barrel throat and mags are made for the longer bullets. Am I missing something? Edit; I would venture to guess there might be more load data out there for the winnie, though

No fleas on the 300wm.  I bought a Bergara HMR Wilderness and it does just fine out to a mile, and I'm not searching for the PRC stuff.  

300 Win has been proven for a long time. Dies brass etc are more available. The belt is only the gunsmiths problem and it’s still isn’t really a problem. The 300 win will run with the 300 PRC all day. I’ve seen factory chamber 300wins shoot faster than the prcs before hitting pressure. 
also The sammi sizes on dies and chambers are off and cause sizing issues and bolt click and stuck cases in chambers. I’ve seen this personally 3 times 3 different rifles. 2 300prcs One was a 6.5 PRC.  There are a few good threads on LRH about this issue. It’s real. I ruined a bunch of  adg and hornady brass sorting these problems out and eventually punched my to a 30SM  now I have no more problems.
After all the wasted time and ammo I would have just gone with a 300 win. 

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, SHOOTER said:

300 Win has been proven for a long time. Dies brass etc are more available. The belt is only the gunsmiths problem and it’s still isn’t really a problem. The 300 win will run with the 300 PRC all day. I’ve seen factory chamber 300wins shoot faster than the prcs before hitting pressure. 
also The sammi sizes on dies and chambers are off and cause sizing issues and bolt click and stuck cases in chambers. I’ve seen this personally 3 times 3 different rifles. 2 300prcs One was a 6.5 PRC.  There are a few good threads on LRH about this issue. It’s real. I ruined a bunch of  adg and hornady brass sorting these problems out and eventually punched my to a 30SM  now I have no more problems.

Dang that's wild. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like you've had both- do I need to do anything special to a 300wm off the shelf to load it up to max potential? I understand it'll become a single shot with the longer bullets, but have heard chatter about needing to do something to the chamber or barrel throat. 

I kinda fell for the 300prc for all the same reasons you mention in your original post. I already knew how good the 300win was I just thought the 300prc would be that much better. After dealing with finding components and the other issues I found. I wished and recommend staying with the ol faithful 300win. 

Some people like to throat them longer and if they do they usually run an extended mag box. (Wyatts box) 

This does help get a bit more case capacity back and in theory some speed. I have seen saami  300win chambered rifles run 200+grain  bullets just as fast as my 300prcs with no mods and loaded under factory mag length ( under 3.700” oal on Rem 700)

215gr Berger’s and most of the 200+ gr ELDs are your friend in the 300wins.  Every 300win I have shoot seems to shoot these bullets very well and get them out at very respectable velocity. 300win is an oldie but goodie. Even better since you reload. 

20 hours ago, SHOOTER said:

There is a tread on Long range only and he had the click in his 6.5 PRC so he bought a custom die that will eliminate the click for $264 and a set of redding type s bushing dies (he used the body die to re-size) . He sized two fired cases with they both came out the same size.

I have a 6.5 PRC and type s dies, Lapua brass and no CLICK. 

14 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

What’s wrong with a 30 yacht 6 

It’s name is kind of worn out.  I bet if it had a few minor changes to it and a flashy name like the new trendy ones it would become instantly popular like the Creedmoor.  The Creedmoor can’t lose.  People are now making it 22, 25, and 243 caliber and can’t seem to get enough of it and if you look closely at each one, they are no different than existing cartridges like the 22-250, 250 savage and 243.  But we get bored easily and need to have something new to talk about.  I’m guilty too.  I had to have the 6.5 Creedmoor when it was new almost 14 years ago and I didn’t know any better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, trphyhntr said:

Right, I was thinking he should use the 3006 just because everyone else isn’t. 

I keep thinking the 30-06 will make a comeback.  I’ve been thinking that for years now.  I actually like it and I will have a 30-06AI built in the next few years.  But now I think it’s done.  Like one of the guys said, go find your grandpas 06.  The younger people will grow up thinking the same thing.  The makers like Hornady, Nosler and the others are great at marketing and know we will eat up a new cartridge if it’s talked about in the press as the greatest new thing.  I’m all about freedom, do what you want, but be careful calling it the best when the difference is minor between each one.  Especially the capability of each one.  Take a close look at all of the 30 caliber magnum types.  Just to name a few, the RUM, Weatherby, Win Mag, PRC, and Nosler only have minor advantages or disadvantages and not enough for anybody to say one is better than the other, and someone that’s had one for only the few years it’s been out can’t say it’s better than any of the others.  What it amounts to is the load development you make of each one that makes it special, not the name of the cartridge or +- fps and it seems like it’s the name we latch on to.  This is not uncommon for a certain cartridge to become popular.  When I was young, Sako, And Ruger made the 6mm PPC and it was a hot new item.  Now, probably no one knows WTF that is.  We all saw the 7-08 become the best thing for kids and when I was young, it was the 270.  How many people buy a .270 over a 7-08 now?  Not many I bet.  The .270 is another grandpa’s gun.

38 minutes ago, Saguaro said:

It’s name is kind of worn out.  I bet if it had a few minor changes to it and a flashy name like the new trendy ones it would become instantly popular like the Creedmoor.  The Creedmoor can’t lose.  People are now making it 22, 25, and 243 caliber and can’t seem to get enough of it and if you look closely at each one, they are no different than existing cartridges like the 22-250, 250 savage and 243.  But we get bored easily and need to have something new to talk about.  I’m guilty too.  I had to have the 6.5 Creedmoor when it was new almost 14 years ago and I didn’t know any better.

The Creedmoor is very different. The main reason why is accuracy from off the shelf rifles like the Seekins Havak and Bergara Premier line, rifles that shoot off the shelf Hornady ammo sub .4MOA. The secret sauce is Hornady built the Cartridge from the ground up to be accurate with the 140/147 grain ELD-Match bullet. The SAMMI specs call for a twist, chamber, throat and lead that fit those bullets like a glove and support it with decent ammo. Heck even their bargain bulk "American Gunner" ammo would shoot sub .5MOA at 100 yards.  Yes its only so fast and the bore is only .264, but t's accurate as all heck and carries easily to 1000 yard hits on steel or paper. I know it's a "target round" but velocity that is still over 2000 fps at 400 yards and sufficient energy for deer hunting covers a lot of territory. It's not magic, just more accurate than any other off the shelf setup. I do not know off any factory match ammo 7-08, 243 or 260 that you can put in a $1000-$2000 dollar retail rifle and kick but with it.

5 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

The Creedmoor is very different. The main reason why is accuracy from off the shelf rifles like the Seekins Havak and Bergara Premier line, rifles that shoot off the shelf Hornady ammo sub .4MOA. The secret sauce is Hornady built the Cartridge from the ground up to be accurate with the 140/147 grain ELD-Match bullet. The SAMMI specs call for a twist, chamber, throat and lead that fit those bullets like a glove and support it with decent ammo. Heck even their bargain bulk "American Gunner" ammo would shoot sub .5MOA at 100 yards.  Yes its only so fast and the bore is only .264, but t's accurate as all heck and carries easily to 1000 yard hits on steel or paper. I know it's a "target round" but velocity that is still over 2000 fps at 400 yards and sufficient energy for deer hunting covers a lot of territory. It's not magic, just more accurate than any other off the shelf setup. I do not know off any factory match ammo 7-08, 243 or 260 that you can put in a $1000-$2000 dollar retail rifle and kick but with it.

tell us you have a man bun without telling us you have a man bun. 

lol just messing 

7 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

Some people are just ignorant about the history of the Creedmoor Rifle Range. The 6.5 was created for competition, just so happens it kills game very well and once manufacturers started offering it in hunting rifles with appropriately expanding bullets it really took off which ruffled the feathers on the magnum crowd. Funt to watch and troll them as they get all worked.