Sign in to follow this  
andyyy

Should I upgrade from 30-06?

4 minutes ago, AZAV8ER said:

The Creedmoor is very different. The main reason why is accuracy from off the shelf rifles like the Seekins Havak and Bergara Premier line, rifles that shoot off the shelf Hornady ammo sub .4MOA. The secret sauce is Hornady built the Cartridge from the ground up to be accurate with the 140/147 grain ELD-Match bullet. The SAMMI specs call for a twist, chamber, throat and lead that fit those bullets like a glove and support it with decent ammo. Heck even their bargain bulk "American Gunner" ammo would shoot sub .5MOA at 100 yards.  Yes its only so fast and the bore is only .264, but t's accurate as all heck and carries easily to 1000 yard hits on steel or paper. I know it's a "target round" but velocity that is still over 2000 fps at 400 yards and sufficient energy for deer hunting covers a lot of territory. It's not magic, just more accurate than any other off the shelf setup. I do not know off any factory match ammo 7-08, 243 or 260 that you can put in a $1000-$2000 dollar retail rifle and kick but with it.

If Hornady was really wanting to be helpful, I think they could have accomplished all of that with the .260, 6.5x47 and maybe the 6.5x 284.  If they improved upon existing cartridges or chambers I would accept that.  Now they have to take up shelf space and manufacturing lots to make something we already have.  I get that new bullets and powder will keep getting better, but wish they would make those bullets to adapt to stuff out there.  Like I said, I’m guilty too.  I’m not disappointed I bought the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I’m a long ways away from saying it’s better than the other three I mentioned.  Seekins and Bergara could have built those to keep up with the new bullets out there, a lot of that is chamber specs and twist rate.  I see that other makers are keeping up with the bullets out there since we all have to have the heavier bullets now.  Ruger and others are making faster twist barrels in their off the shelf rifles that I didn’t see a long time ago because of our heavy bullet craving.

19 hours ago, SHOOTER said:

I kinda fell for the 300prc for all the same reasons you mention in your original post. I already knew how good the 300win was I just thought the 300prc would be that much better. After dealing with finding components and the other issues I found. I wished and recommend staying with the ol faithful 300win. 

Some people like to throat them longer and if they do they usually run an extended mag box. (Wyatts box) 

This does help get a bit more case capacity back and in theory some speed. I have seen saami  300win chambered rifles run 200+grain  bullets just as fast as my 300prcs with no mods and loaded under factory mag length ( under 3.700” oal on Rem 700)

215gr Berger’s and most of the 200+ gr ELDs are your friend in the 300wins.  Every 300win I have shoot seems to shoot these bullets very well and get them out at very respectable velocity. 300win is an oldie but goodie. Even better since you reload. 

Thanks man, feels like this is pretty close to the info I needed. Seems like you've been through it all before!

And just to clarify y'all I love my 06. A few years ago if you asked me I'd tell you it's the last rifle I'd buy. But since I'm getting something new and threaded (so recoil isn't an issue), and am a lot more interested in long range than I was a few years ago, figured this was a good point to upgrade if the difference would be substantial at my projected ranges.

To all of those that still think that Hornady built the 6.5 Creedmoor from the ground up need to take a look at the Savage .250 case. Same length, same shoulder radius. The two guys that designed the Creedmoor have been around long enough to know that the .250 case had been necked up and played with for a long time.  20 years before the Creedmoor came out a gunsmith in California was necking up a .250 case and calling it a 7mm Wally.  Years ago on the Sierra Bullets blog, a shooter by the name of Mitch Maxberry was asking the Creedmoor faithful to name one record that the Creedmoor has broken that the 6.5-08 (later named the .260 Remington) had already set, no one could then, and I doubt that anyone can now.

On 3/9/2022 at 8:17 PM, andyyy said:

Looking for experiences of anyone who has a 30 06 and a 30 magnum (I'm looking at 300PRC in particular), and if the difference is worth the cost of setting up a new caliber.

Got a suppressor coming in (4 months waiting so far). I have a Weatherby Vanguard that I love in 30-06. I handload, shoots .75 easily. But it's not threaded, and that's a $140 expense at minimum that I've seen.

So, I have been thinking of selling the vanguard (or maybe keeping it) and getting a new rifle. While I'm at it, I'm thinking of upgrading to a magnum caliber (300PRC is what I'm looking at; Bergara or Xbolt), instead of another 30.06 threaded. 

I shoot steel out to about 400 yards currently (learning windage, dialing my scope out as well) but am interested in stretching up to 800 for practice, and getting comfortable hunting up to 500-600 eventually. That's the goal, at least. I figured a magnum might be worthwhile for this endeavor.

Any thoughts? Worth it, or am I just chasing marginal gains for more recoil, expensive brass + scarce magnum powder, and the expense of new dies? I understand that I'm not really looking at "long range", more like "medium range"

Are you close to Sierra Vista? I’m not much for internet debate, 😂 if you want to try out a 6.5 HMR, Buy me lunch and provide a range, I will spot for you, let you use the HMR, 12x15 plate and a box of off the shelf of Ammo. Shoot it and decide for yourself. Kavi. 

• Like 1