Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

Switching from applying for rifle to archery tags?

Been dreaming of that rifle antelope tag for a long time but archery seems so much more challenging.should i hold out or challenge mtself after 14 years and try for that archery lope. i know i  have a long wait unless i get lucky for a rifle antelope tag and i am  thinking i am in the mix for a archery tag now so I figured i would see what you guys think. Should i hold out for a rifle tag or start only applying for a archery tags? I Will have 14 points. Thinking of sixA or fourB or threeA.

Depends on what kind of buck you want.  I personally would go to WY and MT and kill a couple 70” goats to get that out of your system if you’ve never killed one.  AZ is special for antelope (or atleast used to be).  You could look at 5000 bucks in other states and never see the type of buck you’ll see in one out of 20 AZ bucks.  Then I’d hold out for a muzzy tag (to have first crack at em, no need for rifle) and shoot a giant. 

At 14bp’s you are likely to never hit max BP’s for rifle. Muzzy draw odds really aren’t any easier than rifle either. I’m at 25BP’s and I’m worried i might not hit max for another 10 years. I have killed 5 or so in other states so i am holding out for a special tag. 

• Like 2

Archery antelope is a blast! I like it much better than rifle. I have been fortunate enough to draw 4 tags, one rifle and 3 archery and have filled all but once. And I think spot and stalk antelope is much easier than desert muleys.

Not much challenge hunting antelope with a rifle. The success rates prove it.  And 14 bp's are still low odds on many archery hunts.

• Like 1

I waited to draw the rifle hunt the first time around and I drew with 17 points in 2015. Now I am waiting to draw an archery tag. No luck yet 

I agree with creed (never thought I'd say that), spot n stalk antelope isn't as hard as everybody makes it out to be. Its definitely easier than spot n stalk coues deer by a long shot. I say get an archery tag and don't look back. You'll likely never draw a rifle tag anyways  I personally don't think shooting one with a rifle would even be satisfying. If you put all your focus into the hunt, and scout diligently, shooting a really big buck with your Bow is a very doable endeavor. 

• Like 1

I’ll say the 10 days I spent last year was tough. But I was successful and was exited the apply for archery again. 

You could apply for rifle in NM and archery in AZ.

Or You can always put rifle antelope as your first choice and archery 2nd choice. 

You might get lucky and get the rifle tag, but still be in the draw for the archery.

No bonus points in NM, so you will go in with the same chance as everyone else.

Drawing archery tags is tough anymore. I’ve drawn 19A twice in the late 90s and early 2000 with about 5 points. I think those hunts take 20 now.