Sign in to follow this  
Green Bullet

2016 ram 2500 cummins wheel bearings

Are you guys seeing high failure rates on your front bearings?  I have 75000 miles and had both in front replaced before. Looks like the front right is going again….I have a leveling kit with 285s….so nothing to crazy from a lift point of view.  

The lift/level doesn’t help. What brand did you replace with?  In my experience, cheap bearings from Rock Auto or 1A Auto wont last long.  Go with Timken.  Also, make sure you torque the axel nut to factory specs. That can cause early failure. 

• Like 1

Factory bearings in my 2016 are still going at 260,000 but no lift and stock tire size.

• Like 1

Do you have the stock rims? If not and they are aftermarket rims the offset can put more load on the bearings, meaning are the rims outward from the stock. I’ve got a 2012 gmc 4x4 with 225k on stock rims with 285/70/17 10 ply and still have the original bearings.

Timken bearings are what you want. I usually get them local at Parts Authority. 

I did both sides in my 2005 a few years ago. Do yourself a favor and think about just doing the axle Ujoints and ball joints at the same time if they are even remotely questionable. 

It is alot of work, but I did it myself in less than a day. I do have some of the special tools though to make it easier.

If you don't do the other parts at least use a TON of anti sieze on the bearings so you can get them out easier later. 

I have good luck with SKF assemblies, I run 35s , clean up the surface and put some anti sieze on the face that seats to the housing. They are wear items and not that difficult to swap.

13 hours ago, coues32 said:

I have good luck with SKF assemblies, I run 35s , clean up the surface and put some anti sieze on the face that seats to the housing. They are wear items and not that difficult to swap.

SFK are my 2nd choice behind Timken. You are right about wear item, especially if you have larger tires or wide offset rims. Keep an old one as a spare in the truck when you new ones. 

Once they are replaced and have anti seize they are not that hard to change. I did one in a Gas station parking lot in Camp Verde one time when I had a failure. I kept a spare in the truck and it saved my butt. 

10 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

SFK are my 2nd choice behind Timken. You are right about wear item, especially if you have larger tires or wide offset rims. Keep an old one as a spare in the truck when you new ones. 

Once they are replaced and have anti seize they are not that hard to change. I did one in a Gas station parking lot in Camp Verde one time when I had a failure. I kept a spare in the truck and it saved my butt. 

I ve heard mixed reviews on Timken and SkF and both have products made in other countries. My oldest truck is an 08 not sure if newer ones have same aam axle.

Side note dennys driveshafts has great deals on good u joints and such

2 hours ago, coues32 said:

I ve heard mixed reviews on Timken and SkF and both have products made in other countries. My oldest truck is an 08 not sure if newer ones have same aam axle.

Side note dennys driveshafts has great deals on good u joints and such

I have heard of issues with both too, but I am not aware if anyone making better bearings for these trucks short of doing a free spin hub conversation on them. 

10 hours ago, Hoss50 said:

I have heard of issues with both too, but I am not aware if anyone making better bearings for these trucks short of doing a free spin hub conversation on them. 

I've never tried but have read you can put lube thru the abs port to extend their life