RichardB22

New to elk hunting

Greetings all. I found out last week I drew an early archery bull elk tag for 7e. This was my first year applying and I am lucky to get drawn. I am coming here for information on how to scout elk in their habitat and learn their patterns. I am a new western hunter and looking forward to scouting the unit I got drawn for. Any advice on how to scout would be great. 

Get a map of the unit for starters.You want one that shows forest roads and water sources.Look up your area on Google earth it will show water and possible places to look .Then just get out and spend time in the unit glassing and looking for elk. Maps plus or flatline are good maps also it takes time in the unit to figure out where they are and where they can be when the time comes to hunt. But time in the field is paramount to having any luck.

• Like 1

Sweet deal thank you for the response. Do you have any suggestions for the map that I will have to get. I heard of a place in Phoenix that makes them waterproof and last for a while. I already have on x maps and base maps for e scouting. 

30 minutes ago, RichardB22 said:

Sweet deal thank you for the response. Do you have any suggestions for the map that I will have to get. I heard of a place in Phoenix that makes them waterproof and last for a while. I already have on x maps and base maps for e scouting. 

Flat line is about the best unit paper map

• Like 4

For physical maps, can’t go wrong with Flatline. They are pretty awesome and waterproof. They also have a digital version, but I prefer an actual map when out scouting/hunting as it gives me a “big picture” look. I also use onX while hunting/stalking to get me in real close.

https://www.flatlinemaps.com

As said onX and or BaseMap...I use both! 

• Like 1

I also prefer a physical map when I’m out in the field I will definitely be ordering from flatline. I have a trip planned for the beginning of April for scouting. I hope to find and locate habitat they use for summer range. My hunt is September 9-22. 

I just have to work on calling for sure. I hope the rut is active during the hunt I’m on. 

34 minutes ago, RichardB22 said:

I just have to work on calling for sure. I hope the rut is active during the hunt I’m on. 

I hope you can take both weeks off but if not definitely focus on later rather than earlier. The last week moon will be waning and rut activity will increase, especially daytime. Keep us posted on your progress with scouting and when hunt rolls around I’ll throw you a 🦴. 

Focus on locating cow elk and the bulls will come. Water is the source of life so locate that and then work away from it and find elevated dark timbered northern facing slopes for bedding areas. Use for maps to find topography lines that have consistent line spacing with areas 2/3 up slopes that the lines widen creating benches the elk love to bed on. 

First light thermals will be drawing down still and mid morning they switch and pull up hill. Never disregard the wind to chase elk. Work perpendicular to it when you can and if wind goes bad back out and regroup. Once you educate them your odds of success drop tremendously. 

Good luck, Mark

• Like 2

Sweet deal that was really helpful info. I appreciate the help. Also does anyone have any insight on pre rut behavior for elk? 

2 hours ago, RichardB22 said:

I would be reluctant to call unless you know what you are doing and that takes a lot of time.  I would bugle just to try and locate bulls but I would personally not try to get them to come in with calling. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Those 7E elk don't migrate very far. Wait for snow melt and look for sign, trails etc. Also look for saplings that have been used as rubs as the elk will be in the same areas and spots come September. Chase bugles and pay attention to the wind, if we have a dry summer water holes will be busy but may not see a lot of activity during the day.