RichardB22

New to elk hunting

Don't skip the cones! 😃

Also, as long as you do not have a gun or bow in your vehicle you can spot light at night time

Might want to consider hiring a pilot to fly you over the unit a week or so prior to your hunt starting 

1 hour ago, SunDevil said:

Might want to consider hiring a pilot to fly you over the unit a week or so prior to your hunt starting 

That’s a quick way to get a ticket. There’s an OTC deer hunt in that unit prior to his hunt. Can’t fly when there’s another big game hunt going on, regardless if his elk hunt hasn’t started.  

8 minutes ago, Newbie2012 said:

That’s a quick way to get a ticket. There’s an OTC deer hunt in that unit prior to his hunt. Can’t fly when there’s another big game hunt going on, regardless if his elk hunt hasn’t started.  

Who would actually write the tickets? G&F? That's funny.

11 minutes ago, Roosevelt Mark said:

Who would actually write the tickets? G&F? That's funny.

Yes.

Go read/listen to the Commission meeting from a couple months ago. Happened to 2 guys scouting for elk. 

My buddy has the same hunt (lucky bastard). I am gonna try and help him if I am not out of town working. We have never been in the unit, it should be fun!

I went to wide world of maps in Phoenix and picked up a map. It’s decent for finding water and trails but the topography is terrible it doesn’t show elevation numbers. I just got back from a scouting trip today up on the west side of the unit. Most all access roads are still closed even though I saw civilian vehicles opening the gates and driving through then locking them back up after they went through. I was puzzled by this. My wife and I hiked a 10 mile loop up and around the herchdeffer hill area because access restricted all other areas. We saw a decent amount of old elk Scat on the sides of the slopes. Saw one rub that was from last year and that was it. I plan on taking a lot more trips before the season starts. I didn’t know they closed access roads up there I guess it would be a mess with people getting stuck. My next trip will be focusing near the bear jaw trail head. I want to do things differently and find overlooked hard to get to areas. I am excited for this hunt and I am not afraid to hike and scout. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichardB22 said:

I went to wide world of maps in Phoenix and picked up a map. It’s decent for finding water and trails but the topography is terrible it doesn’t show elevation numbers. I just got back from a scouting trip today up on the west side of the unit. Most all access roads are still closed even though I saw civilian vehicles opening the gates and driving through then locking them back up after they went through. I was puzzled by this. My wife and I hiked a 10 mile loop up and around the herchdeffer hill area because access restricted all other areas. We saw a decent amount of old elk Scat on the sides of the slopes. Saw one rub that was from last year and that was it. I plan on taking a lot more trips before the season starts. I didn’t know they closed access roads up there I guess it would be a mess with people getting stuck. My next trip will be focusing near the bear jaw trail head. I want to do things differently and find overlooked hard to get to areas. I am excited for this hunt and I am not afraid to hike and scout. 

A little early on the roads as most are still in seasonal closure mode. They should start to open up in the next few weeks.  At least you got a lay of the land. Keep at it and you’ll start to get an idea of your plan.

Check this link for road closures.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/alerts-notices/?cid=stelprdb5339811

Find any tank in the northern half that holds water and has any sign at all. Build a blind or bring one, practice drawing in every imaginable position there is and sit the tank as much as possible. Predawn until 10 and evenings 4 til dark. You will get a chance. 

The roads will be open soon .They are closed for most of the wet season then open April or May depending.As ed67 stated sit water as most will say sun up till 10 and 4 till dark but I can say the elk are on to this and will water when they want.We've had elk ,deer,and turkey hit all day .The unit is a travel corridor and the elk move north and south with the weather .As the temps change close to hunting season the elk will move down from Flagstaff.Some of the older elk are on to the old blinds that have been used for years and will peek first to see if there in use my buddy got picked off in one .Water and blinds or 🌳 stands are always good and we usually have our elk within 3 days or less.

• Like 1